Thread: June 2017 Challenge: The Hanging Gardens of Siso

Default June 2017 Challenge: The Hanging Gardens of Siso

I'm starting this thread as a way of ensuring I make an effort for this challenge. I don't have any pictures yet, but here's the main idea...

So, allow me to present to you:

The Gardens of Siso
    About 40 years ago, the mighty kingdom of Braivell was, unexpectedly and shockingly, conquered by the much smaller and militaristic kingdom of Giston. Despite it's vastly larger navy and it's powerful use of nature magics, Braivell could not withstand the onslaught of Giston's armoured divisions and artillery bombardments. Giston's tanks rolled into Braivell's capital, Lamona, and the occupation began. During the fighting, the royal palace of Lamona was reduced to rubble.

Giston took hostage the crown prince of Braivell, His Royal Highness Prince Folre II Carceran, to ensure the obedience of his people, and to be used as a bargaining chip in future disputes. Prince Folre was shipped back to Giston's capital, Siso, where a vast and luxurious garden was built, to be his home and his prison. There have been attempts to rescue the prince by his loyalist supporters, but they have all failed terribly, resulting in bloody massacres at the gates of the garden. The prince still lives in these gardens, although he is now the venerable age of 79, and the gardens have become famous throughout the world as the Hanging Gardens of Siso.

That's it so far. I'd be happy to get your thoughts on what I've got, and I'll upload some initial sketches as soon as possible.

THW

### Latest WIP ###
    ...in progress...

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

And was the mighty and warlike leader of Giston a warrior queen, who promptly fell in love with the conquered prince? That would be a violent rearrangement of the original story. I very much like it

Alright, I'll be honest: I'm probably not going to get this finished. I like the story, though, so I'll intend to finish it, and it can sit in my huge pile of ongoing and incomplete projects...

Anyway, here's my first WIP. I have decided that the Hanging Gardens of Siso are located on an island, close to Siso's main military harbour. The island is linked by a bridge, which passes through a modern fort (which also houses Giston's espionage and intelligence services), before entering the gardens, and Prince Folre's gilded prison.

For inspiration, I am borrowing (very) heavily from L'Isola Bella, in Lake Maggiore, Italy. (Eg, see here, here, and here).

The plan is to model the gardens in Sketchup, and then trace over the lines to give it a proper hand-drawn feel. Sure, I probably won't get that far, but I can still dream, right?

THW

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Images Attached Images

We are nothing without our dreams, THW...

This is looking VERY cool

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

I hope you finish it at some point...

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    I hope you finish it at some point...
    Well, I'll try...

Here's an update.

THW

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Images Attached Images

It's looking great, THW .

That is one magnificent palace prison

I like how you went with sketchup for this choice of map.
    Great job so far

Finally I got to open this

Great work so far THW but the deadline looms !