Thread: Voolf's miscellaneous art

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

First off, Voolf, I'm an oil on canvas painter myself (which might explain my bright colours and preference for texture, rather than areas of solid plain colour), but I've dabbled a bit with ink and watercolour wash (which is I think the effect you are aiming for with this map), and I'd say this isn't a bad imitation

Watercolours run and bleed. A colour wash, no matter how great the paper, the paint or the artist, is usually at least a little bit uneven, but I've no idea how you would imitate that digitally. As they dry they create a subtle tide mark of slightly darker pigment around the edges - again, that's something I wouldn't know where to start with digitally.

Aside from the technique and the texture, I think you might need to make the water darker in the middle than it is around the edge. Right now, though well drawn, its giving the impression of being a mound of something because of the darker edges. The trees might benefit from a more 'watercoloury' mix of different colours (not shade but colour).

EDIT: thinking about it, the way I would describe a single watercolour wash to an alien from the planet Zog, who's never seen one before, is... like a coffee stain, but a planned shape and usually in a much prettier colour - transparent stains of pale rainbow colours.
    Last edited by Mouse; 08-15-2017 at 09:52 AM.