Thread: How do I take a texture and copy it to another layer to make walls and flooring GIMP?

Guild Novice

Question How do I take a texture and copy it to another layer to make walls and flooring GIMP?

Okay so here is my issue and I do not even know if I am in the right place when it comes for asking for help here. But with that said, I am GM who run's an online tabletop and since I have started maybe three months ago now I have slowly been trying to learn how to make maps for encounters and the like. At this time I am trying to build a map that has two main sections a cavern type area and a factory area. The way I found online teaches me how to build a map uses GIMP's built in patterns but most of those are really ugly and I would rather make my own textures to use. So I go on and make some cave walls but I cannot figure out how do make this texture and then move it to the lines I drew for the walls. I am not sure if there is another way to do things, if I can, hell I am not even 100% sure I am using the right terms to describe my struggle. So any help would be very nice.

Perhaps up load a screen shot? To me it sounds as though you should be using a layer mask of some sort. For instance lets say you have a cavern laid out, you'd make a layer above that and fill it with your pattern, and then use the floor pattern mask to cut that area out of the pattern and it'd be filling the rest of the image, and if you wanted it to be close to the wall you could use eraser to erase the pattern far away. Or something, it's been a while since I've used GIMP intensively.

Guild Novice

Quote Originally Posted by Falconius View Post
    Perhaps up load a screen shot? To me it sounds as though you should be using a layer mask of some sort. For instance lets say you have a cavern laid out, you'd make a layer above that and fill it with your pattern, and then use the floor pattern mask to cut that area out of the pattern and it'd be filling the rest of the image, and if you wanted it to be close to the wall you could use eraser to erase the pattern far away. Or something, it's been a while since I've used GIMP intensively.
    The green lining is going to become the walls the layers labeled factory, and floorCave2 are what I want to use as the textures for them. Once I finish with that, then I want too make two more textures and use them as the ground. One for the cave and one for the factory. Hopefully this helps. I admittedly and still very new when it comes to using GIMP

Untitled.png
    Last edited by Ballamer; 09-04-2017 at 02:54 PM.