Thread: From Lurker to Member, Hello!

Default From Lurker to Member, Hello!

Hello everyone. I've been a fan of this site for the last few years, doing some tutorials while marvelling over the masterpieces of your members. I've been a fan of cartography for a long time, having drawn my first map for my (still active) D&D group over 15 years ago when I created my first homebrew setting. Life has finally slowed to a nice pace for me, and I've been able to work on developing my art style and proficiency with all of the digital tools available to bring even more life to my imagination. I'm aspiring to be a comissioned cartographer some day, whether it is creating beautiful maps for authors or digital dark dungeons for players to test their mettle against. As of right now I am making simple things that gradually test my imagination and my ability to bring it to life in drawing and coloring with the goal of improving something each time. Here is a link to a recently completed single-room map as an example of the current state of my ability.

My preferred style is hand drawn with digital coloring. I am exploring the ability to create maps from HD textures by working digitally only, but I don't yet have a firm grasp of GIMP and Photoshop; problems I hope to solve through practice and feedback from those more experienced.

Thank you for the site and resources provided here. I am looking forward to all my time spent among you.

Hi btcartography and welcome to the Guild. You're welcome to share any maps you've worked on, either in Finished Maps if you're completely done, or in one of the work-in-progress folders, if you'd like some advice while you develop the map. I like the map you linked to. Looks great, and I'll look forward to seeing more of your work.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"