Thread: How Do I... determine scale and where should I place towns and cities?

Guild Apprentice Facebook Connected justkae's Avatar

Help How Do I... determine scale and where should I place towns and cities?

Mozambabwe.png

Probably one near the lakes at the top. A little hideaway in the bottom-right area...

Um, yeah... What the title says

Blog Entries

How Do I... determine scale
    You did not have that in mind while drawing it ?

as to cities --- where do YOU want them ?
    --- 90 seconds to Midnight ---
    --------

--- Penguin power!!! ---

How many people live there?

I've found a website, not sure it's related but Mozambabwe has a population between 20 and 500 million people. And it's in the modern era.
    The first thing the president need to do is to fire those responsible of the census. They are very incompetent and have no idea what's going on.

Judging from the general placement of the elements on your map. the area doesn't seems that big. About the size of the California maybe. But if you have no idea how big the place is, nobody can know for sure since you don't have a scale. I know circular logic... It can be as big as you want.

Regarding cities, you need to know at least the country's population, area (approximate), and level of technology. Then you can get somewhere.

Guild Artisan Guild Supporter Tenia's Avatar

Btw I like this map, good colors and textures. I think you can't be wrong by placing some cities along trade routes, coast and rivers. Is Mozambabwe far from Nambia ?

Big cities form at major centers for routes of trade (essentially at intersects of rivers or sea harbours and inland trade routes for pre industrialized places), and at places of centralized political power. Normal sized cities form along trade routes and closer to the resources of that trade (generally farming if we are talking pre industrialization). Towns will essentially fill up the areas in between centralized according to natural resources (farming, logging, mines, etc.). Depending on the overall cohesiveness and strength of the rulers things will be more or less defended, but even with strong organization and armies anything pre industrialized will have defence high in consideration and is probably the biggest modifying factor in placement of things.

@tenia mozambabwe is east south east from nambia

@johnvanvliet no, it started out as a clouds generation and then I just... did stuff. I'm thinking of putting one or two or three villages in the mixed forest /jungle areas, and the large grassland next to glacier area on the right. And then... people like having cities near water - so.... near the lakes and somewhere along the coast?

@azelor yeah, california/nambian-esque for size, which then throws country's population into between 2mil (namibia) and 20mil (california). level of technology is a good point. I think for now, something easy like whatever the general rpg LoT is - medieval? Before trains... After boats.

@falconius so, near rivers/coasts, woods and mines; defensible, trade routes.

thank you for the responses! Will give more thought to the things you've commented on and pop the next wip in soon

Mozambabwe2.png

How does this look?