Thread: How do I upload?

Help How do I upload?

I have almost finished my first map, and I was wondering how I would go about uploading it to these forums? I am hand-drawing it if that makes any difference.

EDIT:
    I want to post it here for people's thoughts on what I could do better. Helpful criticism I guess is what it would be.

Thanks
    -Worcestor
    Last edited by Worcestor; 10-02-2017 at 06:26 AM.

Blog Entries

You need your map in digital format so you need to scan it or take a digi photo of it.

When you make a post you will see that you may have a button saying "Go Advanced" that depends on whether you have set your profile to post with the simple or advanced layout. Anyway, there should be a button saying "Manage Attachments". When you hit that you get a panel of all of your uploaded files so far. Top right is a button for the upload called "Add Files" where it asks you to find the file on your drive with a "Browse" button (or may be something slightly different on a Mac). When selected it will upload it and show the thumbnail in the bottom panel. You can arrange your attachments there. When done there is a "Done" button and then it goes back to your text box post message but it should list in text the files you uploaded. You can attach the files inline or not. If inline then they appear in the middle of your text, if not then they are at the end. Normally you see the images as thumbnails which come up in a "light box" which is a smaller window. If you click thorugh that then it should come up full image size.

You can inline hosted content into your post with the usual BB code. So like most forums ours would be (and of course how I am gonig to type this without it interpreting the code....)

Code:
    [ img ] https://www.cartographersguild.com/images/cartographer/misc/cartographer_logo_short.png [ /img ]
    Without the spaces in it above would then produce this:

If possible tho, please use a smallish image for that. If you inline external images which are huge they come out huge here too.

Below is an example of the attachments in a lightbox.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Redrobes; 10-02-2017 at 06:38 AM.

How would I go about scanning this, or taking the photo?

Blog Entries

Digital camera ? Then use its wifi / bluetooth / plug in the card to your PC via a reader / or use the lead to transfer the file. Basically, how do you normally get a file off of your camera ?

I would usually plug in the camera's card to the computer, and just take the file that I want off of that. You are saying just do that then it should work?

Blog Entries

Yup thats the ticket ! You get a JPEG file of your map. You can tidy it up as you see fit in some photo editor like Photoshop or Gimp or whatever if you like but there is no requirement to do so. Just upload the JPEG file in the manner I said in prev post.

You can either copy the file to your hard drive or you can run the browser with the card in and upload the file right off the card itself. Your file explorer should have some drive marked as the card inserted somewhere. Make sure you pick the right one or else we will get photos of your cat with a silly hat on !

Cool, thanks Redrobes! Hope I can do this right!

Hey Worcestor, a while back I put together a little graphic about uploading to the Guild that shows the process Redrobes explains above. It may be useful.

https://www.cartographersguild.com/a...chmentid=94582
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Blog Entries

Thats very cool ! Should we have that on a post stickied somewhere fairly prominent like top of general mapping or members into area or something ? Yeah what about under Members Intro just under Rav's quick start guide.

The upload is not the most obvious thing to get your head around when new here.

Yeah, I should have thought to sticky it somewhere. I'll make a thread tomorrow. I made it precisely because so many people are confused by the upload process!
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"