Thread: Changing pen nibs?

Question Changing pen nibs?

For those who are using a tablet, I'm just wondering when you're deciding to change your pen nib...

I'm still using the same one since I've bought my tablet, and it's quite used. But its length is just a little shorter than the ones Wacom provides for replacement.

So, I'm wondering if I should replace it or not. I recall vaguely some internet comments about changing them often...

I have noticed that mine seems shorter but I've found that by switching off the pressure dynamics for most of the line work and only using it when it's appropriate (e.g. rivers) I don't need to press so hard these days. Mind it's not being used at all since my PC died. What I'd say is if it's still working to your liking then why bother changing it yet? If there are things that aren't working so well, maybe you can't attain a certain angle on the 'paper' any more, then go ahead and change it.

If the nib has worn quite a lot though you may lose something in the pressure dynamics department. The in-out position of the nib seems to be an extra axis and if it is worn then its limits may have changed. For example 0 - 1 is bounded on the x and y axes as the limits of the drawing area of the tablet but the pen nib is the z axis and if it is too short it may only be able to cover 0 - 0.8 or less. Software does give you quite a lot of control though.

I probably wouldn't change it unless you really need to. It looks a bit fiddly TBH
    Last edited by Straf; 10-05-2017 at 08:14 PM. Reason: Correcting grammar

I wait until the pen caseing is starting to touch the pad. I take a ruler and put it up to the nib at whatever angle I've worn into it and if it touches the pen casing, pull it out and replace it. The first nib went really fast for me, because the new surface of the tablet was really rough, but now that it's worn down some this nib has lasted a lot longer.

Edit: Wasn't fiddly at all. Just pull the old one out and pop the new one in.
    Last edited by Falconius; 10-05-2017 at 08:27 PM.

OK, thanks for the input, guys !
    According to your method, Falconius, I can use the nib a bit more I guess (it's not touching the pen, but it's close).