Thread: Looking for some sort of geography FAQ.

Default Looking for some sort of geography FAQ.

Are there any general guides/references/FAQs for beginners to help us with geography? Things like, "Rivers usually flow from mountains" and "Lakes don't have more than one outlet" and "Rivers never split."

I'd still like to know more about how to place lakes, deserts, wooded areas. I'm not looking for a PhD, just some basic stuff that will help me get started with maps that make sense and give me some knowledge to build on as I learn.

There are quite a few of those scattered around here (for example, "how to get your rivers in the right place"). I recommend two things: do an internet search for "physical geography" and then look at some maps that you like. Physical geography deals with now the places in the world work and will provide you nice overviews about why things are where they are, and will usually show you examples along the way. Looking at maps will give you a general idea of how other people have put things together.

Guild Apprentice Facebook Connected Scelus Sceleris's Avatar

Brandon Sanderson Lecture 9: World Building Geography Part 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_cQfhgA89I

These lecture videos are highly recommended for anyone interested in world-building.
    Last edited by Scelus Sceleris; 10-26-2017 at 07:10 AM.