Thread: Greetings from Oz

Default Greetings from Oz

Hello fellow mapmakers! I just thought I would take a small moment to introduce myself.

My name on the internets is Riorlyne, but most call me Orli. I've been guest-lurking for a while on the forums here but Naima's amazing work on Thersis and detailed WIP thread finally convinced me to give things a proper go myself and join the cartographers. I have very little experience, but I have a lot of imagination (and that has to count for something).

I'm a big fan of Lord of the Rings and other fantasy works and love the look of hand-drawn maps with old parchment textures and unique compass roses. I hope to produce a good-looking one of those someday. I've got a WIP thread started over in World Mapping, and am currently giving Arsheesh's height-mapping techniques a go. Hopefully it works!

A side question: is there an average timeframe for posts to make it through moderation? I thought I posted in my WIP thread earlier but the computer wasn't very helpful and I'm not sure if the post disappeared into thin air. I'm happy to wait, just would like some idea of how long I should wait before giving it another try.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Hey Orli, welcome to the Guild! To answer your question about moderated posts: your first 5 are moderated as an anti-spam measure. Sometimes us CLs don't get to the moderation queue immediately; sorry about that. After 5 though, you should be a fully-fledged member.

Thank you for the welcome, and thank you for explaining matters to me. Since I posted in the WIP thread before this one, I imagine that my computer glitched and sent the post off into hyperspace somewhere. I’ll give it another go.

Once a fully-fledged member, do I still need to fill in the reCaptcha to post and run searches?

Another quick question: when five posts are approved, will any others of mine in the moderation queue automatically leave the queue and appear on the site, or will they need to be manually approved? I don’t see much point in posting a whole lot just yet if the latter is the case as I would like my WIP updates to appear in order and (so far) my posts don’t seem to have been approved in the order that I posted them in.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

1. As far as I know, after 5 posts you don't need to keep filling out the captcha thingie.

2. If you go past 5 posts and there's still some in the queue waiting approval? Hmm. I actually don't know the answer to that. Now that you're at 13 (as I'm looking at the boards), do you see all your posts showing up?

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    If you go past 5 posts and there's still some in the queue waiting approval? Hmm. I actually don't know the answer to that. Now that you're at 13 (as I'm looking at the boards), do you see all your posts showing up?
    Thanks for the replies! You're correct on the captcha thing, but as for the queue, I'm not sure. I think an admin/CL may have approved all my posts in one fell swoop, because when I logged in and was a fully-fledged member, I had those posts to my name and could see all of them.