Thread: WIP World Map

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

A few things you should also consider before getting knee deep in the drawing process.

What map projection are you using?
    This is black and white with pen and paper or software? not an issue but I'm just wondering.
    What perspective to use? Isometric or top down? Isometric might be harder depending on the level of details you are looking for. Erwin Raisz is a good inspiration as he does almost any kind of landscape.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Arimel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Azelor View Post
    A few things you should also consider before getting knee deep in the drawing process.

What map projection are you using?
    This is black and white with pen and paper or software? not an issue but I'm just wondering.
    What perspective to use? Isometric or top down? Isometric might be harder depending on the level of details you are looking for. Erwin Raisz is a good inspiration as he does almost any kind of landscape.
    So I will be doing the map with pen & paper. This may make it difficult to link the pages together later but it is the way I am currently comfortable with. Also, I am probably going to use an isometric-esk style. Generally speaking, I do not really like the way top down maps look and although the geometric style does not hold the same level of detail I judge the trade off of preciseness for appearance to be worth it. Finally, from the image I could find of Erwin Raisz's work, his maps are way beyond my skill sets and also more detailed than mine will probably be. Thanks for telling me of him though because I had never heard of him before and will certainly try to find more of his maps.

Quote Originally Posted by Arimel View Post
    So I will be doing the map with pen & paper. This may make it difficult to link the pages together later but it is the way I am currently comfortable with.
    Have you considered using poster-board? Depending on where you live, you can get cheap 22" x 28" pieces at the dollar store; art supply stores might carry bigger sizes in better quality paper - I know my local Michael's carries 20"x30'' sheets of art-quality paper that aren't too expensive.