Thread: Map satisfaction

Default Map satisfaction

Are you always satisfied by ur maps? I do not ask about the art or technique used but shape and general look ... I find myself satisfied when I decide for a shape but once I finish it I want to go back and change it again to make more interesting ... and now I feel this again but each time I revise my map then I need a new week of work to redo all ...

Not by the art, not by the shape not by any of it. I think that's why it's important to just finish them and move on, because when I don't I fall into endless fiddling with the thing until eventual abandonment. That said if you were always satisfied, would you really have the same inclination to produce more maps?

Never. In fact I like my maps less and less the older they become. Some of them even make me cringe when I look at them these days. Its because all the mistakes just seem to jump out of the screen at me to mock me.

The only answer is to move on and try something new each time, and if you really must 'go back' to something, then maybe it was never really finished in the first place.

Guild Journeyer

I learned a long time ago (in mechanical design) that a design is never done, it is just completed when you get the requirements done and run out of time or need to move on.

I had to learn to live with "good enough". Same with maps, I stop working on them when they are good enough. Too much I want to get done to spend lots of time going back and getting everything just right (which will never happen anyway!)

Well, I strongly suspect that most people here have a perfectionnist syndrome and an everchanging mind about their work . Therefore, I think you'll mostly get the "(almost) never satisfied" very often.
    And count me a member of that category .

Yes, what others said.

I am especially critical of my own landshapes/continental-shapes. This, for me, is the central aspect. And i almost never hit it right. I'm never satisfied how my continents/regional landshapes look.
    That is why i am so jealous of guys like Diamond, Ilanthar and Max...they just seem to hit the landshape sweetspot (at least for my eyes) almost every time. It's infuriating ^^
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Well, what you probably find is that you like them well enough at first but as some time goes on you find yourself less in love with them. This means you are continuing to grow in your skills. When you are totally satisfied with all your work you will most likely have stopped improving and are done for.

That said, I usually like my stuff for a few weeks after it's done and then I start thinking, "Meh, I think I could do better." Also, art is only done when you take it away from the artist. I heard an artist somewhere saying the last 10% of the piece is all the tweaking and polishing and it isn't the area where you make the big leaps in skill. He said you are probably better off to just stop and start a new piece. Unless of course it's a commission or something you need to finish. At least until you have reached the level you want to be at.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Guild Novice

I'm getting back into creating maps, and the hard part for me is moving from pencil to ink. Once I use a pen I've locked in the design and I need to work with those small mistakes I introduce when things don't go as planned.
    Hopefully I'll get more comfortable with the idea that those mistakes are learning opportunities, and keep growing my skills and learn something with each error.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk