Thread: First antique style map

Guild Novice

Wip First antique style map

Made by following the excellent tutorial from Candacis, "Antique Style Maps in Gimp," along with reference to the photoshop tutorial from Ascension on which it was based. I have only made it through step 11, I plan to add place names and finish tomorrow. There is obvious room for improvement, the borders between countries are messed up, the rivers need to be cleaned up (or maybe scrapped and started over), and I need to learn how to actually build mountains. I have downloaded a few mountain tutorials that I plan to work through. I am also having a hard time figuring out how to add the diagonal patter as the background for the countries.

I am really enjoying going through these tutorials and learning about Gimp and maps; hopefully I can take what I need from these various lesson and put them together to form some better looking maps.

Practice antique.png

Guild Novice

I know this map isn't much different, but unfortunately, I spent a long time adding city markers and names and lost it all when I didn't save at some point. Oh well, at least it is just a practice map. I am still working, but it has been tough finding time around the holidays while visiting family. I did figure out how to add the diagonal lines, which certainly looks nice. I also tried adding a curved name in larger type across one region, but I can't figure out how to get the letters filled. I got the name curved across the path I drew, but all I could get was the outline of the letters with movement handles on them. I lost that work as well, but I'll be going back over that section of the instructions and trying again soon.

Practice antique 1.jpg
    Last edited by Lupulus; 12-26-2017 at 10:03 PM.

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected zhar2's Avatar

Keep it up, looks good, although id recommend reducing the saturation of colours and keeping them close to the borders only.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

I'd agree with zhar on toning down the colors. I like the layout/landmasses though! Kinda makes that green island look like its where all the action's at.