Thread: Is it Possible to re-scale maps on CC3 to create a giant world map?

Question Is it Possible to re-scale maps on CC3 to create a giant world map?

So I recently acquired CC3+ in order to start making maps for a current campaign I'm running (took a break from trying to make it on Photoshop haha). Anyways, before I begin this project, I wanted to know if it was plausible to combine maps into one large world map?

The idea I had was to map out every single continent and then once each continent is completed, to combine all the maps into a large world map. Is this possible using CC3? If so, is there a tutorial I can look at and save for future reference? Or should I just make a giant world map instead?

Guild Journeyer

The 2008 Cartographer's annual includes an issue on making a giant interactive Atlas using CC (May 2008 ). I'm not sure if that's what you're trying to do -- it essentially creates a single 'master map' that you can drill into for detail maps.
    Last edited by loydb; 12-28-2017 at 08:07 AM. Reason: damn emoji

Hello Ookakiba

You are more likely to get expert advice on the Profantasy Forum (http://forum.profantasy.com/) in response to a question like that (unless Waldronate just happens to see this thread and give you the low down ).

Generally speaking, it is possible to make a map that is totally vast in CC3+, though it would make printing such a thing really difficult on readily available media, and in extreme cases (where you might have added every single tree in the world individually, for example) it slows the file down quite a bit.

When I asked a very similar question a couple of years ago I was advised to do a world map of a more modest scale, and enlarge portions of that initial map to create more detailed regional maps.

Having attempted it both ways, I would say the advice I was given was totally sound, for although CC3+ is capable of holding all that information in a single file (the whole world down to individual trees), it is easier for our relatively small human brains to deal with all that stuff in much smaller chunks, and a lot easier to just print out the relevant region on A4 or A3
    Last edited by Mouse; 12-28-2017 at 08:55 AM.

Interesting, yea I could see how that works out.

Thanks! I'll definitely give that a try for sure.