Thread: December 2017 Challenge: The Lands of Cha-uari

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Another beautiful composition well drawn.

Looking forward to the back story

Quote Originally Posted by Voolf View Post
    I have only one question.... tell me, did you draw every tree there ? or used brush to scatter them ? (:
    Chashio mostly answered this one last night
    I created a single tree that was fully opaque and then used the clone stamp tool in PS to replicate it many... MANY times.
    It reallly was done like placing every tree individually.
    I just haven't found a good way to replicate many trees quickly and still have it look reasonably organic in distribution.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chashio View Post
    Clone stamp tool. (:
    That came out nice, J.
    Thanks Chashio
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasR View Post
    The sepia tones with your style does wonders and the choice of colors for the labels is really well thought. I love the overall map even if I'm not really sold on those trees. It's good to see a new challenge map from you
    Thanks Thomas. I wasn't entirely sold on it either.
    It was actually me trying a thing that Chashio and I chat about a lot - map elements.
    I like them, and make them, but often never use them in any of my maps.
    This map was actually originally to be a full color map. Things just sort of took a turn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    That was sneaky John!

Lovely work as always and it's nice to see you playing with sepia tones. Kinda reminds me of Tilvarel Valley by Blaidd Drwg.

Great way to see in the New Year and great to see you in another challenge!
    I'll take that compliment. I love Blaidd's work on that map. Love it.
    It wasn't intended to be sneaky. I just really didn't know if i could finish in time or not, and didn't want the feeling of committing to a challenge and not finishing.
    I've done that before - sometimes entering very late and sometimes not entering at all. And even entering and not finishing. Several times.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Another beautiful composition well drawn.

Looking forward to the back story
    Thanks Mouse
    The backstory-ish stuff is now posted in the first post.
    I wanted to post a more finished and well ironed out backstory, but it just was not coming along.
    And I did want the story stuff in the thread before it got locked. For posterity

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Greg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
    I'll take that compliment. I love Blaidd's work on that map. Love it.
    It wasn't intended to be sneaky. I just really didn't know if i could finish in time or not, and didn't want the feeling of committing to a challenge and not finishing.
    I've done that before - sometimes entering very late and sometimes not entering at all. And even entering and not finishing. Several times.
    Believe me John, it wasn't meant as anything but a compliment!

And don't you worry, I've done that many atime with challenges and usually don't get around to finishing and so to the rest of the world, my progress never exists.

So it is sneaky, but in a good way...

Love seeing the WIP images too.

Edit: Also just seen the detailed description you added. Some lovely worldbuilding there even if that ending is a little ominous...
    Last edited by Greg; 01-01-2018 at 05:34 PM.