Thread: First working map

Guild Applicant Facebook Connected

Map First working map

Hi all,

Like many i have been trying to make a map for a long time and finally i made one which started to look properly and i wanted to share it with all of you. I really like to hear your thoughts and any usefull advice is welcome. I made it using GIMP and am still working on it. Please be a bit kind since it is one of the first maps i made that actually look like a real map instead of badly drawn pictures.

safe1.jpg

Just keep in mind it is still far from finished.

thank you all

Guild Novice Facebook Connected auke's Avatar

Great start! Keen to see how you progress.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Caenwyr's Avatar

Hey Wilfred,

This is looking very promising! There are some things that might need a little tweaking (I'll list them below), but all in all it's a very good start.

1. First off, the rhumb lines are a little overpowering. If you turn down their opacity a bit, they'll probably allow the viewer to give more of their attention to the actual map. Also, you might consider masking the lines over the landmass so they're only visible in the seas.
    2. the ship icons are really tiny compared to the huge compass. Is there any way to even that out a little bit?
    3. I assume the squiggly black lines are rivers. Is there a reason why the ones near the bottom of the map are so much thinner than the others? Also, there's this principle here on the Guild (and in nature!) that says that rivers should never bifurcate. There are exceptions, but they are very, very rare. Rivers generally come together and form one big river that ultimately flows into the sea (possibly passing through a lake on the way there). So try to stay away from rivers that split. Also, if there's a river flowing into a lake, there should also be one flowing out of it. This, and much more can be found in this lengthy but very informative thread dedicated especially to rivers.

And that should be it for now! If you have any question, just yell and we'll do our best to help you out.
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!