Thread: The World of Anonyma

Map The World of Anonyma

Here's my first world map. It's a follow up for the client that commissioned this map and you can find the WIP here.

It was pretty fun to further a past work and to play with the little globes that the equirectangular projection can give. That's an odd equirectangular projection to say the least and that's an odd planet too. The tilt is 45° creating a strange climate illustrated by the colors of the trees. None of it really makes sense unless you throw a bunch of gods playing with mortals and you can always count on them to mess around.

The full size piece is around 80x40 cm, just for the map. You can imagine the amount of work the shading of the mountains took (and it was just a tiny part of the work).

The map isn't labeled and has no name as the client wants to do all of it himself so, the title came by itself.
    Final cadre post.jpg
    © Thomas REY - All rights reserved - 2017

As always, feel free to critic and comment.

PS : Stay tuned, there are two more finished maps coming tonight.
    Last edited by ThomasR; 12-28-2017 at 12:54 PM.

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Greg's Avatar

God, I really don't envy the shading on a piece this big, but it sure looks mighty fine! Gorgeous land shapes and I really like the golden brown forests in the top left for some reason.

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

As all your maps, it shows a lot of character ! I really admire your style and the consistency of it !

Amazing work on this, and nice to see it finished. Your shading of the forests and mountains, but also the land, is stunning!

Great map! As I said in the WIP, I especially love the way you managed the sea and ice caps on this one. And the globe views are the cherry on the cake.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    God, I really don't envy the shading on a piece this big, but it sure looks mighty fine! Gorgeous land shapes and I really like the golden brown forests in the top left for some reason.
    Yep, it really made me regret to always do my mountains map after map. I know I could use the ones I've already done but I cannot do it. The landscapes had to be dynamic, I tried to make them more adventurous even if they're less plausible. The golden brown forests are a place of eternal fall due to magic events.

Quote Originally Posted by - JO - View Post
    As all your maps, it shows a lot of character ! I really admire your style and the consistency of it !
    Merci beaucoup Joel, I think a style is slowly settling in

Quote Originally Posted by DanielHasenbos View Post
    Amazing work on this, and nice to see it finished. Your shading of the forests and mountains, but also the land, is stunning!
    Thanks Daniel, I'm also glad to see it finished, really glad

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    Great map! As I said in the WIP, I especially love the way you managed the sea and ice caps on this one. And the globe views are the cherry on the cake.
    Merci Julien The globes give it a sci-fi vibe even if it's a fantasy world, that's something I like.

Your style is a beauty. Congratulations for your wonderful work!

Guild Adept

really beautyfull map <3

Quote Originally Posted by FrancescaBaerald View Post
    Your style is a beauty. Congratulations for your wonderful work!
    Coming from you, I take it as a huge compliment, thanks a lot Francesca

Quote Originally Posted by Akae View Post
    really beautyfull map <3
    Merci beaucoup Olivier