Thread: [WIP] World of Aduhr

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Harrg View Post
    Very nice! How you split your map into layers by elevation? You use "magic stick" in Photoshop(or alternative tool in Gimp )? Because some time I very want correct my height map after Wilbur in different layers for each scale.
    I have basically divided up the RGB scale to 25 metre intervals. So basically 256 possible values, that represent an elevation range from -150 metres to 6250 metres. It goes as follows:

0 RGB: -150 m
    1 RGB: -125 m
    7 RGB: 0 m
    255 RGB: 6250 m

Then I've created a few gradient maps which divide the RGB scale into appropriate elevation layers. So, it's essentially just a Gimp Gradient Map. I'm not sure what the equivalent is in PhotoShop, though.

It's worth noting that when you export a height map from Wilbur, it automatically scales it to RGB values based on the Min. and Max. Elevations you've defined. In my map, the highest elevation is about 2750 metres, so I have to sort of rescale the exported height map back into the usual range using the "Levels" in Gimp.

Sorry that I can't provide more detailed advice, but unfortunately I don't have any experience using PhotoShop (as I use Gimp exclusively).

Thank you Charerg. I present an alternative it in photoshop)) Ph. and wilbur use similar tools.