Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: whisper's introduction and my first map

You're very welcome

A glass pen?

Now that sounds really interesting. Sort of... unique, and I'm very intrigued. Is it possible to make a glass nib? And is it possible to make one that doesn't break? I can see how it would never wear out in comparison to the metal ones, and how it would be possible to make the end so smooth that it never tore the paper, but how would it work with the ink flow?

Now see what you've done? You've triggered one of my pondering moments. I'll be thinking about this for hours

Rep is given to show appreciation of a map or comment, and I guess it is a bit like street cred, though I haven't heard it described like that before now. The way you give rep is by clicking the little star button at the bottom left hand side of the comment you wish to rep, and typing a short comment in the little box that appears about what you think is so good about the map or the comment. You don't have to make a comment. Some people prefer not to, but most do

If you make a mistake with a thread title you will have to ask for help to get it changed. The Community Leaders can change it for you, but they need to know what it should have said. Its best to ask on the affected thread - and to be a bit patient. There are days when they get a bit busy, so it may be a day or two before you get your wish. And don't feel bad about it - we've ALL done it at some point or other. My favourite trick seems to be to change my mind about the title of a Challenge thread half way through the challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    You're very welcome

A glass pen?

Now that sounds really interesting. Sort of... unique, and I'm very intrigued. Is it possible to make a glass nib? And is it possible to make one that doesn't break? I can see how it would never wear out in comparison to the metal ones, and how it would be possible to make the end so smooth that it never tore the paper, but how would it work with the ink flow?

Now see what you've done? You've triggered one of my pondering moments. I'll be thinking about this for hours

Rep is given to show appreciation of a map or comment, and I guess it is a bit like street cred, though I haven't heard it described like that before now. The way you give rep is by clicking the little star button at the bottom left hand side of the comment you wish to rep, and typing a short comment in the little box that appears about what you think is so good about the map or the comment. You don't have to make a comment. Some people prefer not to, but most do

If you make a mistake with a thread title you will have to ask for help to get it changed. The Community Leaders can change it for you, but they need to know what it should have said. Its best to ask on the affected thread - and to be a bit patient. There are days when they get a bit busy, so it may be a day or two before you get your wish. And don't feel bad about it - we've ALL done it at some point or other. My favourite trick seems to be to change my mind about the title of a Challenge thread half way through the challenge.

As far as the glass pen goes, I guess they aren't really calligraphy pens per se, but more of a dip pen. I'm including a youtube link to show you what they look like, they are "trending" recently, for lack of a better term. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SODug5rHdY

But yes, the glass nib is quite possible! My hubby deals in borosilicate glass (think pyrex) so his glassworks are super sturdy. He has made me some glass fairy balls. I dropped one on the garage concrete floor, and it bounced, but didn't break! I have one hanging from my car windshield and it is constantly hitting the windshield as I live in the mountains on a rocky dirt road. hahaha. The ink flow looks to be pretty good, because of the spiral of the glass. Hopefully the link helps you stop pondering.

I looked in the FAQ's about reps and it helped explain it, but I think you helped me make sense of it even better. Thanks!

I will post in my thread to the community leaders to help me change the title icon, or whatever it's called. Do I have to tag anyone in particular, or just simply say, help? I messed this up.

Anyway. Thanks again for the warm welcome. I have spent waaaaay too much time recently pouring over all the amazing content this forum holds.

Cheers ~whisper
    ~ whisper

I'll have a look at the video in a minute - thanks for sharing the link. I think I could do with a wine glass made of that stuff!

More urgently - if its just the tag you've attached to the new thread I think you can change them yourself by editing the comment and clicking the 'go advanced' button.

Its just the words of the title itself that we can't change by ourselves

Try editing the comment first, and if you can't change the thing that's wrong, just make a 'Please can someone change my title to "[whatever the title is mean to be]"' request.

EDIT: After watching that video, I think I might just have to go and get me one of those glass dip pens
    Last edited by Mouse; 01-25-2018 at 04:20 PM.

Default Herhaling gare

Hey Whisper,

Lovely little map! It’s great to see people going for the traditional pen and paper from start to finish. Of course, digital painting has its place and it certainly allows for a more refined final product, but I think doing it all on paper results in a more charmful piece. In fact, nearly always when looking at a map for the first time, what I’m looking for are clues as to whether it was done digitally or not, and I really enjoy finding out true traditional gems. If the labelling is also done by hand, instead of using a font, then all the better.

So, congrats again and keep up the good work!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12