Thread: Darkwood Harbour (Challenge map Aug/Sept 2017)

Guild Expert Facebook Connected XCali's Avatar

Map Darkwood Harbour (Challenge map Aug/Sept 2017)

Hi everyone!

This was my very first challenge entry map. It was great fun and I learned sooo much from it. So, thank you for all the feedback and support throughout the challenge, it helped a lot. And thank you so much for the rep everyone!
    (NOTE: My three chosen points were, 1. Campaign Starter 2. Trading 3. Iso.-I did tilt it a bit more. Hehe.)
    The challenge WIP archive for those who want to check out the process.

True, it was my most ambitious map to date. And it was hard to flesh it out in time. Though, it was a bit of bad timing as I was also furiously busy finishing final preparations of my debut Novel Nights of Sambria and the Wish of light while I was busy with this map.

This map was mostly drawn with pencil and paper and there were a few digital textures thrown in the mix to get it this way. The explorers guild and the ship practically took full days to draw, but it was fun nonetheless. Ah, but the buildings that I needed to fill up the city with was a big mission. Still, I managed to get quite a ways before the deadline came.

Anyway, this was quite a project! But, it was fun.

And for all the adventure loving people out there. This map was created with RP in mind. So, have fun. (Just throw a nod my way when you use this map for a campaign.)

Now, I will say this. Though this map is finished, it is only version ONE. So, I might tackle it in the future to finish all the stuff I want to add to it.

PLEASE, throw ideas my way if you want. Especially people who want to use this map to campaign on. This was created with that in mind, so I want it to be fun to do so, and if that means the ideas make version TWO even better suited for that, then awesome!
    And you are welcome to ask questions about the map too.

Have an awesome week,
    Omri

EDIT: VERSION 2
    Darkwood Harbour_Bamboo_Forest_byOmriHope.jpeg

Quote Originally Posted by XCali View Post

Enjoy. And for all you who play DnD, Pathfinder or any other Tabletop RPG. This one is free for personal use and for having those adventures with friends.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by XCali; 02-05-2018 at 09:54 AM.

~ Maps-DriveThruRPG ~Free Maps and Assets ~Current Project~

My web novels
    Instagram handle: instagram.com/omrihope
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~The heavens declare the glory of God;
    the skies proclaim the work of His hands.
    Day after day they pour forth speech;
    night after night they reveal knowledge.
    ~ Psalm 19

I think this is probably the best map you've done so far, Omri, and I can't see anything to suggest any improvements. Well done

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    I think this is probably the best map you've done so far, Omri, and I can't see anything to suggest any improvements. Well done
    Hehe, thanks Mouse. I do want to add better shadows and flesh out the docks a bit(on the land). Still, I am happy with this map. Thank you for your feedback throughout. Oh and congrats!

My web novels
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~ Psalm 19

Thank you Omri

I can't resist dishing out advice, it seems, but in case you haven't tackled shadows in a big way so far, the easiest thing to do is just add a layer on top of the map and turn it to 'Overlay', then paint the shadows in with a soft-edged brush in black - erasing any mistakes as you go.

You can use Multiply mode, but you will have to reduce the opacity of the sheet quite a lot, and it doesn't give the same warm colour effect as overlay

Looking forward to seeing this map 'pop' on a new WIP thread, then

Map Updated version!

Hi everyone,

I really wanted to flesh out the map just a bit around the docks, so this is it for now. I might make a pass on the shadows the next time I tackle the map.

Enjoy. And for all you who play DnD, Pathfinder or any other Tabletop RPG. This one is free for personal use and for having those adventures with friends.

I'd actually like to know what kind of stories sprang from this map.

(Any feedback in making this map better for RPG's is welcome. )
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by XCali; 02-05-2018 at 09:53 AM.

My web novels
    ~ Psalm 19