Thread: Middle Earth DEM Project

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Ok cool. I am not familiar with TG2 so I dont know whats in a distribution shader or whether that can deal out height and color at the same time. Your right in that it seems like it kinda could.

Keep us posted and let me know anything that I can help or push it forward with. Really want to see Mindol get some extreme TG2 goodness.

I have the height map in HF2 format. Would it help if I gave you a contour map of the fluid / snow height for a reference ?

The problem was that I had to go via PNG16 to get to ter so I lost the real world values in it.

Blog Entries

Contour bands at 100ft intervals. I guess I let a lot of snow fall
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hey Robes, just a quick update. this is two plant models using different population distributions:

http://www.skindustry.net/medem/file...on test_09.png

I'm not sure what you mean in your last post...?
    I haven't made any more progress on the snow but I'll get it. I'm learning all the time here. I'm trying to get trees in at the moment- lots of texture maps to set up. It may require that the heightmap be respanned in TG. Shouldn't be too difficult at all in theory.

monks
    Last edited by monks; 11-03-2008 at 08:07 AM.

Blog Entries

Cool.

I guess you didn't understand about the png bit ? Well HF2 has heights in floats where the values mean real world stuff - its a calibrated format. When going to .ter I have to go HF2 -> PNG16 -> TER. By going through PNG16 the values of that format are just 16bit grey so we lose the real world calibration. I dont even know whether TER files have real world calibration but whatever, I have lost it by that point so the only way to recover that is to get a contour map of the HF2 and try to make the import height match up with what I had originally. Because GTS uses real world heights and is doing a fluid sim then its quite important that the height is the same from GTS to TG2 in order for it to look right - probably some leeway but you get the idea.

So, if you can make the import of the TER file about 600ft of snow at maximum depth then it would be about right.

...just noticed your edit 2 on the previous post. will read that. Got a tree render coming down at the mo- just the tree haha- looking good though.

back shortly

Right...this is making more sense now. You said that the fluid map has a little water everywhere. I'm going to try my old setup...I have used both mask that are cmpletely white- ie all snow on mountain set to max white, and shades of grey. I think I did check that the .ter icefield was zero in all places off the mountain. I did that in Wilbur. But with this new info, I'll take another look at this.
    Basically the principle of what yuo are saying makes sense: gradation of transparency via depth of icefield height (or an image map)- either way would work but the former is surely less complicated. You can use a cutoff in TG on the imagemap shader so that we could set all levels below say 0.1m to black, )transparent), and the rest to gradate through.

monks

the tree. Unfortunately this crashed about 3/4 the way through.

http://www.skindustry.net/medem/file...G2/tree_04.png

monks