Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Population and location

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Blaidd Drwg's Avatar

Not sure if this was brought up earlier, but just in case it wasn't: a quote from a Terry Pratchett novel that absolutely has to be in here:
    “Racism was not a problem on the Discworld, because—what with trolls and dwarfs and so on—speciesism was more interesting. Black and white lived in perfect harmony and ganged up on green.”

― Terry Pratchett, Witches Abroad

Quote Originally Posted by Blaidd Drwg View Post
    Not sure if this was brought up earlier, but just in case it wasn't: a quote from a Terry Pratchett novel that absolutely has to be in here:
    Okay mouse! The word R has been mentioned! Sneeze for us will ya? XD

Mmmmm. Interesting quote Blaidd. However, would it apply if the orc tribe lived for centuries near a human kingdom of black people and then all of a sudden they encounter white people. Will the black decide to unite with the white and bash the green, or would they rather interact with the orcs because they have known them already? Many things are possible.

For example, in my world, I have yet to decide if Kastosians will at first not suspect even more black people than orcs. I guess there is a conscient racism on one hand and on the other a suspicion of the unknown which would be more xenophobic... First contacts are always harder because you don't know how to react or what to make of something or someone you never saw. What's funny in my novel project is the long waited for and prophesized Emperor who will lift once more the banner of the Kastosians (a white nation) is actually a black noble from a kingdon across the ocean. At first, almost everyone will think he is not human, especially because he comes with a crew of humans, dwarves, and elves. But afterwards I think I will have a feud between the kastosians themselves. On one side, those who will let go of their first reaction and accept that though he is black he is indeed as human as everyone, while the bad guys will go from a simple fear of the unknown to a hatred of what they do NOT wish to know. In all of that chaos, they will have also to learn to accept other races. Hey, actually I like that idea quite alot. In fact, that confrontation has to take place if I want to change the Kastosian Empire's view on orcs so they may actually later on even force an alliance with another empire further south the continent which is a mix of humans and orcs.

In other words, the northern continent of Evozen will never see a single black man or woman untill the appointed time has come, a whole context in which they will have to seek more allies and even overcome past hatred and work with goblins and orcs. By having racism of white against black coming so late, it may actually allow those who will reject racism to even go further and accept other races. If I do that too soon, the movement for acceptance of other races wouldn't be strong enough. So the comming of a black human will bring a reality which was untill then between races, inside humankind, and the solution found within humankind would afterwards jump to the in between races. We don't need star treck to have a crew with different races.

How does that sound? Would that justify afterwards a world in which several races can live without destroying themselves?
    We all wish to create, but do we really create?
    What we draw and what we write is part of us.
    No we do not create, we simply discover who we are.
    **My maps have copyrights**

You can make all the rules you want, can't you? It's your world! And there are examples of those tropes being being broken. But cliches and tropes are so oftenly used because they work.
    Last edited by Thorton; 11-04-2021 at 03:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Elterio Delgard View Post

Does skin colour simply imply a genetic diversity with other races such as elves, or not? I mean, a black elf from what I know is different not just because of the skin but from its attributes... Dwarves I guess wouldn't bother with skin colour... Orcs, normally it goes from grey to green?
    I love the topic of mutation and adaptation!

Although modern humans entered Europe about 45k years ago, but it was not until somewhere around 11k to 19k years ago that the genes responsible for loss of pigmentation swept through the population. https://www.newscientist.com/article...-neanderthals/

You'll note the language used, these things (beneficial adaptations) can 'sweep through' a population. And that's in the real world. If you're talking orcs and fantasy worlds well, the sky is the limit here; exposure to some strange force can flip a whole group of orcs to chartreuse as quick as your wizard PC can say "hocus pocus".

Quote Originally Posted by DnD4ever View Post

Although modern humans entered Europe about 45k years ago, but it was not until somewhere around 11k to 19k years ago that the genes responsible for loss of pigmentation swept through the population. https://www.newscientist.com/article...-neanderthals/
    I haven't kept up with all the new science on the subject, but the last time I explored the subject, the thinking was that the increasingly pale complexion was related to the adoption of agriculture. As I recall, a meat heavy hunter-gathering diet supplies more vitamin D than a diet based primarily on cultivated plants. Indeed, it is thought that two of the three mutated genes causing pale skin (in Europeans, as I recall there's also a 4th separate mutation causing pale skin in Asians) originated in the Middle East, and probably entered Europe with the migrations of Neolithic farmers (and in Europe, those genes became much more widespread than in their origin due to local conditions favouring them). The Mesolithic hunter-gatherers of Europe apparently had only one of the three mutated genes (if I remember correctly, don't quote me on this one ), and had complexions maybe something like the native peoples of Siberia and Canada.

Anyway, that's my somewhat amateur-scientific understanding on the subject.
    Last edited by Charerg; 02-24-2018 at 05:53 AM.

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Quote Originally Posted by DnD4ever View Post
    This definitely is very interesting. I always thought that all those other races should have as much variability as the real human race.

Or if you do some comparison, think about other real races, like dogs and cats.

All that myriad of shapes, heights, colors and weights, should be present in each of the fantastic races.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345