Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Feb / Mar '18 Lite Challenge: Carte exacte et fidele de l'isle d'Anoucoubao

Guild Artisan Guild Supporter Tenia's Avatar

Thanks all for your comments !
    Oh sh... the islang seems floating... those bloody hatches maybe or the coastline too heavy, as somebody already pointed out. I will try to thicken the coastline at first.
    I have a separate layer for the mountains color, will try to adjust the contrast.
    Yse, those waves have to be redone, and in the next step I will show you some boats (and sea monsters maybe ?)
    Straf is right, it is a long s, I used some ligatures too. By the way, I forgot to credit the font maker : It is a Francesco Lucas font by Pia Frauss (http://www.pia-frauss.de/fonts/fonts.htm)
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Straf View Post
    It's an old fashioned letter s nopkin. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_s
    I knew about the long s, but I wasn't aware it was used in French as well. Thanks!

Thickened the coast line, adjusted some contrasts, added some ships, they're in the tone, I think....
    ### Latest WIP ###anoucoubao9.jpg

Wow! All that fine line work - so well drawn

This looks great. I agree with Mouse that your linework is fab.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Thanks !
    Added a ruler, a sea monster (tried Ortelius style, I always ended in a cartoonish style, home this one is good enough) colored the cities and tested rivers and lakes without the hatches. I think I will only have time for minor adjustements now, many thanks to all for your comments and suggestions !
    ### Latest WIP ###
    anoucoubao10.jpg

Your last version is amazing! And despite being nitpicky about your palm trees I'm a huge fan of your map!

Did you do the whole map in Artrage or just the linework? Altough I love working with Artrage when it comes to digital painting, I never thought of using it for a map. I will definitely give it a try.

TY Neyasha !
    I know what you mean but I have not the time (or the strengh !) to redo the palms trees now. I will try to apply some Gimp filter eventually... That was mostly made with Artrage because I love to use it for digital painting and drawing and I couldn't go back with Gimp (which I used previously) for drawing now.The labels are made with Inkscape and imported. Beware that Artrage has many weaknesses for map making, notably the minimalist selection tool (and when you use watercolors it is a real pain !), no layer mask and very few filters included as standard.

Well done, Tenia! It turned out really great!

latest wip, just colored the borders, well done to all, it was really fun to participate in this challenge.
    ### Latest WIP ###
    anoucoubao11.jpg

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345