Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Feb / Mar '18 Light Challenge: Castleton Island

Quote Originally Posted by elboe View Post
    This is really looking good. Being from the Midwest I don't know anything about tides or sailing, but this map is very clear. Well done Tonquani.
    Having grown up doing some sailing, nautical charts are a love. Can easily see in my dad pulling this out of his charts case...

Guild Expert

Nice job Tonquani, and I see you fixed up the little squares on the land. I was going to say something about the pixilation but it seems you've already taken care of it... This is a great map, you've really captured the authentic style here.

Quote Originally Posted by kacey View Post
    Nice job Tonquani, and I see you fixed up the little squares on the land. I was going to say something about the pixilation but it seems you've already taken care of it... This is a great map, you've really captured the authentic style here.
    Thanks kacey, I really appreciate the support and encouragement!

Quote Originally Posted by Daistallia View Post
    Having grown up doing some sailing, nautical charts are a love. Can easily see in my dad pulling this out of his charts case...
    Thanks Daistallia, not being a sailor myself, it's good to hear that I am doing okay with it. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by bkh1914 View Post
    CONGRATULATIONS!
    You finished the soundings!

A minor suggestion: The location labels on land seem a little small and hard to read. Perhaps increasing the font size by a point or so...

I'm really loving this map.
    Thanks bkh, yes the soundings were a right royal PITA!!! No luck with the font size I'm afraid. That part has been merged down (yes, I know, you should never, ever, ever merge anything down, but unfortunately I work on a laptop with a small screen, and the simpler I can make it the better). The only way I could sort that is to retype ALL of the land label text again...

Quote Originally Posted by elboe View Post
    This is really looking good. Being from the Midwest I don't know anything about tides or sailing, but this map is very clear. Well done Tonquani.
    Thank you very much elboe. Appreciate the feedback!

Chris

So, as far as I can see, I have come to the end of this little journey. I am as happy with this as I think I am going to be, given the steep learning curve that I have had using GIMP.

So, here is one final...

### Latest WIP ###
    Castleton Island.png

I must say I am most impressed with the quality of entries in this month's challenge. I started going through them to see if I could single out a few that in my mind would be the main contenders, but realised that virtually all of them fell into that category. Well done everyone!

Your whole concept is impressive ! And the end result is gorgeous

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasR View Post
    Your whole concept is impressive ! And the end result is gorgeous
    Thanks Thomas, much appreciated, however I really feel that I can't take too much credit from a creative point of view though, as the style was very much copied.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonquani View Post
    Thanks Thomas, much appreciated, however I really feel that I can't take too much credit from a creative point of view though, as the style was very much copied.
    And that does not diminish your merit in any way

That's a great looking map.
    I'll be voting for it.
    But meanwhile, have some rep.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456