Thread: New World (Help with Tectonics?)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by davoush View Post
    Thanks, yeah, I thought so - hence my previous question about oceanic plates splitting. Would it seem reasonable in this case? I.e. an oceanic plate splitting in two, spreading in the centre and subducting on either side? Are there (or have there been) any examples of this?

Alternatively, I could change the movement of E2 to follow the subduction more directly, in which case it looks like it is heading for an India-Style collision. As a continent moves towards a subduction zone, would there be island arcs? For example, imagine India had not yet collided with Eurasia, in the ocean 'gap' north of India, does anything happen, or is India just pulled into the subduction like a kind of conveyor-belt motion? (Wow, questions lead to more questions.)
    I'd say the Pacific and Nazca is an example of an oceanic plate splitting and subducting on either side, in a sense. As to the collision, it depends. There weren't any island arcs on the Indian plate ofc, but there would have been some island arcs at the subduction zone itself on the Eurasian side. See Australia-Eurasia for a younger continent-continent collision, for example.

You could also check some vids from either CS Scotese or Earthbyte to answer most questions regarding Earth's tectonic past.
    Last edited by Charerg; 04-07-2018 at 11:02 AM.