Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Mar / April '18 Lite Challenge: Guilded Lands

I think in Italy and certainly in Slovenia it is terme. I once stayed here for a few days: http://www.terme-olimia.com it was splendid!

Ha! I used Google Translate although I probably should have used my French dictionary which is on the shelf over to my left.

Wow! A really polished map, Straf. I agree with Thomas that you've definitely got a touch of the Diamond in that style.

If I have any suggestions its to increase the margins around the information text to about a minimum 'W' width

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

I'm glad you changed Miss T.B. to Miss T. Beee. No one wants a cruise run by tuberculosis.

Great map!

Guild Expert

It looks fantastic Straf, I just can’t get enough of this colour palette I love the warm colours.

... is there a mouse head on top of your title box ? You brits stick together as I can see

Please be advised that The Magical Miss T.Beee Tour Company (the MMTBTC as known by the myriad of happy customers) plans to extend its activities to a unique guided tour on the Disputed Territories : limited places ! (departure from Aesh-ni-Dae ; please be current on tuberculosis vaccination ; better speak French ; the MMTBTC declines any responsibility for accidents or magical disease).

I was a silent observer of this thread for a while, but now the end of the challenge is so close, it's time to give a closer look and... Straf, I missed my apparition on your map : I love it ! But I'm also a little disturbed... How did you manage to find some private informations in my mind ?? Besides map making, I manage a small guest house, so I'm technically a tourism professional, and... how to say... "Magical Beee" is the fun way I often sign my messages for my biggest client, because he sometimes asks me "please, can you be magical again ?

To be serious, I looked at your process and can only tell the same thing as the other Guild fellows : great work ! It was a pleasure to see the map evolution, and I'm especially fond of your colors : congrats !

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Wow! A really polished map, Straf. I agree with Thomas that you've definitely got a touch of the Diamond in that style.

If I have any suggestions its to increase the margins around the information text to about a minimum 'W' width
    Thanks Mouse. I see text padding is still an obsession I'm assuming you mean the space between the frame and the text in the large box. Two things that are factors: the available 'real estate' for text is in short supply; I'm still learning to compensate for certain things when scaling down the size of the image prior to upload. Oh a third thing that may come into play - my OCD has difficulty coping with things that aren't a 'neat' number such as round numbers or even numbers in the boxes at the top of Inkscape. I always have to adjust the positioning and sizing of things manually, then I use the alignment tools. I will, however, bear in mind the advice about the 'W' so long as I can get it to a round number of pixels

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    I'm glad you changed Miss T.B. to Miss T. Beee. No one wants a cruise run by tuberculosis.

Great map!
    Thanks Diamond. You have been inspiration for the style I was aiming for. I'm not quite there yet but each map I try something new and each map I end up surprising myself. A lot of it seems to be courage though.

Quote Originally Posted by kacey View Post
    It looks fantastic Straf, I just can’t get enough of this colour palette I love the warm colours.
    Thanks kacey. I have learnt quite a lot about layers, blend modes and opacity through experimenting. I was aiming for a bit of a warm look, hinting on antique, but with definition. There are several layers making up the colours, including all grey layers to darken it a bit. The text is all 'grain merge', whatever that does. It seems to make it fit with the colours but stand out enough, though. A small blur 'fixes' it to the background.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasR View Post
    ... is there a mouse head on top of your title box ? You brits stick together as I can see
    I was trying to work out what that looked like. I've started to do my own cartouche by drawing a squiggly shape in Inkscape then duplicating and then flipping it and then bringing the two halves together. It's a quick and dirty way to do it but I'm hoping to get more elaborate as I gain more confidence.

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBeee View Post
    Please be advised that The Magical Miss T.Beee Tour Company (the MMTBTC as known by the myriad of happy customers) plans to extend its activities to a unique guided tour on the Disputed Territories : limited places ! (departure from Aesh-ni-Dae ; please be current on tuberculosis vaccination ; better speak French ; the MMTBTC declines any responsibility for accidents or magical disease).

I was a silent observer of this thread for a while, but now the end of the challenge is so close, it's time to give a closer look and... Straf, I missed my apparition on your map : I love it ! But I'm also a little disturbed... How did you manage to find some private informations in my mind ?? Besides map making, I manage a small guest house, so I'm technically a tourism professional, and... how to say... "Magical Beee" is the fun way I often sign my messages for my biggest client, because he sometimes asks me "please, can you be magical again ?

To be serious, I looked at your process and can only tell the same thing as the other Guild fellows : great work ! It was a pleasure to see the map evolution, and I'm especially fond of your colors : congrats !
    Thank you Misty Beee. The name had to fit in when I realised I was doing a tourism poster. I thought of the Beatles song "Magical Mystery Tour". That's where "Step right this way!" comes from too. Your name fitted right into that Magical Misty Beee Tour. Well it made me grin anyway. The problem is I have ear wormed myself with it

EDIT: Some of the more thrill seeking tourists have heard about the bandits in the Disputed Territories and are returning home to boast about being robbed out on the trails. One lady, who shall not be named, recounts with glee her 'traumatic' ordeal in a nomadic tent one moonlit night, to her soiree audiences. Bookings from female clients travelling alone, many of them married, have mysteriously sky-rocketed.

It has been a fun challenge. Getting names onto the map in different ways was quite entertaining. Thanks Bogie
    Last edited by Straf; 04-13-2018 at 05:36 AM.
    I started a DeviantArt page
    https://strafwibble.deviantart.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Straf View Post
    ...I'm assuming you mean the space between the frame and the text in the large box. Two things that are factors: the available 'real estate' for text is in short supply; I'm still learning to compensate for certain things when scaling down the size of the image prior to upload. Oh a third thing that may come into play - my OCD has difficulty coping with things that aren't a 'neat' number such as round numbers or even numbers in the boxes at the top of Inkscape. I always have to adjust the positioning and sizing of things manually, then I use the alignment tools. I will, however, bear in mind the advice about the 'W' so long as I can get it to a round number of pixels ...
    No worries. It was only a suggestion

It's so much fun reading all the labels on this map! I had to giggle over the coincidence that Nayasha River leads to Oliva Lake (as Oliva is my reallife surname).
    I also love the description about tourism in the Gilded Lands. This is such a fun and creative map!

Quote Originally Posted by Neyasha View Post
    It's so much fun reading all the labels on this map! I had to giggle over the coincidence that Nayasha River leads to Oliva Lake (as Oliva is my reallife surname).
    I also love the description about tourism in the Gilded Lands. This is such a fun and creative map!
    Thank you Neyasha, it was a lot of fun putting this together. And it seems it's full of so many coincidences too. The lake is named for another Oliva of the guild
    I started a DeviantArt page
    https://strafwibble.deviantart.com/

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567