Thread: Scabre-Bone Island

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Arimel's Avatar

Default Scabre-Bone Island

This was my entry for the February-March Lite challenge. I did not complete the border or staining before the challenge deadline but I still wanted to see the map finished and here it is! There is one black-white version and another stained version.

Final Scabre-Bone Island Black-White.jpg Final Stained Scabre-Bone Island.jpg

The dread pirate Scabre-Bone was one of the richest pirates in the world. He ravaged the nine seas, taking all the loot for himself, and hiding it away on his so-called personal island, thus known to the outside world as Scabre-Bone Island. It is said that this map was stolen from the dreaded pirate and reveals the location of his treasure to those clever enough to find where the X marks the spot. To all others, as the warning goes, only pain and death awaits.

I am rather happy with the outcome of this map. There are certain styles I almost certainly wont use again (this method of mountain shading) but it was fun to experiment with them. The border took a while to plan out and then ink, and it showed me that my landscape drawing will certainly need improvement should I try this again!

As always, comments and constructive criticism for next time would be great!

Nice map! I kinda prefer the b&w version for legibility. What you did with the frame is just excellent!

Kudos for finishing! I like the final result and I think I have a slight preference for the parchment-style version, as I like the contrast between the ink colour and background. Well done on the border too.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Arimel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChickPea View Post
    Kudos for finishing! I like the final result and I think I have a slight preference for the parchment-style version, as I like the contrast between the ink colour and background. Well done on the border too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    Nice map! I kinda prefer the b&w version for legibility. What you did with the frame is just excellent!
    Thank you both for the kind words on both maps. The parchment feel was what I was going for with the staining but it did lose some of the sharpness that the black-&-white version has. I am also glad you two like the frame. It depicts a journey around the island and I was not sure how it would turn out when I first decided to go with the idea.