Thread: Felmyr Place Names (WIP)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I definitely know how you feel regarding the world name. For my main fictional world, after years I've still not managed to come up with one and I really hate the placeholder I have been using. I think in the end I will go with something drawn from one of my constructed languages.

What I am wondering about is whether the linguistic layout of your world is supposed to be so very analogous to our own or not (it could be done subconsciously). For example, you have a northern region with a norse-type name, a central one with a frankish-type name, an eastern one with an east-asian type name, and a south-easterly one with an arabic sounding name. And then to the west across the sea, Rushmore conjures up images of the US.

If this is intentional, that is fine - it works. Expect the comparisons though, (and also perhaps comments on the absence of an african continent equivalent proper.) If it's not intentional, it might be worth giving it all another pass.

For example, in my main fictional world, I added a vague east asian sounding land to the east. Then realised what I was doing so just cut the whole thing entirely. But then I didn't intend to go for a world analogous to our own.

Also it's nice to see this subforum getting a little more love.
    Last edited by Larb; 05-18-2018 at 11:49 PM.
    My new Deviant-thing. I finally caved.