Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: May 2018 Challenge: Postcard from Mars

Guild Adept Facebook Connected timallen's Avatar

I made a bit more progress...still a ways to go

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Images Attached Images

Guild Expert Guild Supporter aeshnidae's Avatar

I love it! There are already so many details - even a medal! - and they feel very authentic. The illustrations really are amazing. I would probably fade the handwritten text just a tiny bit to make it sink into the card, but this is coming along so nicely.

Guild Adept Facebook Connected timallen's Avatar

thanks. a few more details added. more to be added tonight!

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Images Attached Images

I think you are moving from setting the stamps in a scene to clutter. Especially since many skewed heights are implied by the way the objects lie over each other and these are not really expressed in the visuals. Logically, the postcard bundle is raised up on the right side, as it lies over the medal. The pen is precariously balancing on a little edge of string. The pen should be showing much more shadow than the medal that is flat on the desk/table. The string itself suggests a substantial stack of cards, but it still seems like there are just two. And then there is the pipe obscuring the map of Mars. I think I know which one people on this forum are more interested in seeing!

Also, did you intend the spelling of "Hilghlands"? So far as I can tell, Hilghland is only a family name. I think "Marian" may be one of the older adjectival forms that have fallen out of use, but I'm pretty sure "Maritan Protectorate" should be "Martian Protectorate".

Spelling aside, I think that the post card itself is coming along very nicely. I'm just afraid it's about to get lost under a pile of clutter (like too many a real postcard).

I think I have to echo rdanhenry. A really good entry, but you are putting too many distractions in that draw attention away from the stamps/cards. Also, if you are trying to get a good authentic used look, the edges of the postcards look far too straight and crisp.

Otherwise, this is a really unique entry; the combination of old and futuristic is really great.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12