Thread: The City of Runiste

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasR View Post
    I know Blaidd does it with ink before coloring with crayons (no watercolor for him). I gets really good results. Maybe ask him through PM ? My opinion on the maps, it is superb but the colors are a bit bright for my tastes. And your towers are really well shaded
    Is Blaidd a watercolourist? I never knew that. I'll take up your suggestion, Thom, and write to Blaidd. And thanks for the comment

Quote Originally Posted by Chlodowech View Post
    first of all, i have to say that i've never worked with watercolour pencils, so everything i'll say about it is based on things i assume by looking at the result on your drawing, which is btw a very nice one.
    Thank you Chlodowech!!! That is fantastic advice and the details you have given are very very much appreciated I was concerned that grey would make the image look a bit flat, but I think your experience and tips have convinced me to give it another try.

Quote Originally Posted by Azélor View Post
    What time is it?
    I haven't really thought too much about that, actually. Usually I just pick a direction and start shading.

Wingshaw

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

Quote Originally Posted by Wingshaw View Post

I was concerned that grey would make the image look a bit flat, but I think your experience and tips have convinced me to give it another try.
    Your concerns are not without a reason, and i gotta explain a small but important detail about it. If you go for traditional watercolouring with separate colours, never use a pre-made grey or black - they look lifeless and dull. Instead, mix the grey tone out of other pigments - which would be red and blue (i don't know if ultramarine blue works, but from what i've learned, coelin blue is the best for this purpose; about the red, i'd advise to take a brownish red, and to mix in a just a tiny bit of clear red).

With this mix you can get everything from a light gray to black, depending on how much water you use. Be aware that the mix of pigments will not forever stay as such, and on larger surfaces you can sometimes have the colours slightly separating. But i guess when it's only about shadows on a city miniature, you won't risk getting that.