Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: July 2018 Challenge: Part of the Village of Infeld

I have not much time to comment these days but I have to stop by and say it is really gorgeous !

Great map. Very realistic layout.
    My thought on the labeling is use the dark text in the panels, and don't label the streets at all. It looks much cleaner without them.
    I also find the large smoke plumes distracting, they lend a nice ambiance, but maybe reduce them by 40%. I guess I just like to see the map!

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    That's looking marvelous!
    Thanks D!

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBeee View Post
    Oh, I love better the new border color ! And the whole map is amazing
    It's delicate for the labels, especially because they're going over the road and light, so the contrast is not easy to balance... I would try to reuse the lightest grey of the blades, with maybe a subtle dark outer glow ?
    Thanks Misty, I’ll give it a go. I’ve already tried a subtle light brown stroke to the outside of the darker text. I’ll play around with the other one and see how it comes out.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasR View Post
    I have not much time to comment these days but I have to stop by and say it is really gorgeous !
    Thanks Tom, much appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    Great map. Very realistic layout.
    My thought on the labeling is use the dark text in the panels, and don't label the streets at all. It looks much cleaner without them.
    I also find the large smoke plumes distracting, they lend a nice ambiance, but maybe reduce them by 40%. I guess I just like to see the map!
    Thanks Bogie. I have been in two minds all the way through this as to whether or not to include street labels. I may just do them and make a final decision right at the end. Point taken about the smoke, I have already reduced its opacity quite a bit but I think you’re right, it needs to be reduced some more...

Right, so taking previous comments into account, I have decided not to name streets at all, so as not to distract from the map. Also, the smoke opacity has been further reduced (Thanks Bogie).

So as far as I can see, this one is now finished, unless anyone spots anything that needs attention.

### Latest WIP ###
    Attachment 108986
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Tonquani; 07-27-2018 at 07:36 PM.

It definitely has a lot of atmosphere.
    My new Deviant-thing. I finally caved.

Quote Originally Posted by Larb View Post
    I agree. Incredibly good feel with this Tonquani

Quote Originally Posted by Larb View Post
    Thank's Larb, it wasn't supposed to be anywhere near as dark when I started it, but each time I darkened it, it seemed to get better... That seems to be the way I work at the moment. Nothing ever turns out anywhere near what I initially expected. I tend to work to a rough plan and sort of wing it as I go along

Quote Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
    I agree. Incredibly good feel with this Tonquani
    Thanks John, coming from you this is hugely appreciated!

I love it very much ! As Larb & J. said : great atmosphere ! It's also a wise and brave choice to finally remove the streets labels.
    There is just one detail I would edit because I'm super picky : the daggers don't have the same lightsource than the rest of the map, including the border, and the handles look a bit flat

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBeee View Post
    I love it very much ! As Larb & J. said : great atmosphere ! It's also a wise and brave choice to finally remove the streets labels.
    There is just one detail I would edit because I'm super picky : the daggers don't have the same lightsource than the rest of the map, including the border, and the handles look a bit flat
    Cool, thanks Misty, I’ll get on to it!

Here you go, for MistyBeee's benefit (thanks Misty!), shadows on the daggers have been corrected (to the best of my abilities as they had already been merged down... (Yes, I know, you should never, ever, ever merge down...!)

### Latest WIP ###
    Infel Publish.gif

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast