Thread: Theia revisited - Climate check (WIP)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Member Guild Supporter nwisth's Avatar

I have an Earth-standard axial tilt, but I'm trying to figure out how much colder the ring would make the winter hemisphere. The effect is close to zero near the equator, but ramps up fast as you go north - so I'm going for a sharp gradient. This is especially noticeable due to the small size of the planet - it only has a circumference of 28400 km, which means the distance from the 45th parallel to the equator is just 3550 km - the distance from Oslo to... well... somewhere in Sahara.

I've placed the ring shadow during winter solstice and the scales on this height map, to show it:

Theia-Equirectangular-ringshadow-and-scales.jpg

I need to find a better technique on how to effectively distribute the temperature scales. Maybe using some sort of grayscale layer, which can be affected by both elevation and other manual touches... How do you guys do it?

I'm thinking the ice sheets would melt quite a bit in summer, and re-freeze in winter - but then again, the ring isn't totally opaque either. It would filter out somewhere around 30-40% of the sunlight, I think (all I can say without spoiling too much is that it's not made of rocks).

-Niels
    Last edited by nwisth; 08-07-2018 at 01:15 PM.