Thread: Stitching multiple images

Guild Applicant Guild Supporter

Help Stitching multiple images

Hello all,
    I am tactile and like to draw before I bring into a mapping program. I didn't have any big sheets of paper so I drew it out on 16 legal-sized sheets of paper.
    I want to scan them and create one image to take to the printer. What is the best process to do this?

Hi. It's pretty difficult to actually do with a scanner. Check this thread out it has the same discussion going on: https://www.cartographersguild.com/s...ad.php?t=42729

Blog Entries

for that the program Nip2 can do it using tie points on overlapping areas

but the learning curve for using nip to do this is a bit steep
    -- there used to be a guide for doing this but i can not find it right now

here is a PDF of the manual with an example
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=...41710005687694

see page 14 in the PDF
    Last edited by johnvanvliet; 11-07-2018 at 04:10 PM.
    --- 90 seconds to Midnight ---
    --------

--- Penguin power!!! ---

Blog Entries

I appears Hugin can do this as well: http://hugin.sourceforge.net/tutorials/scans/en.shtml

Blog Entries

Looks like I need to have a play with this one too. I have seen great panoramas done in Hugin but didnt realize it did flat pictures too. On that doc you linked at the bottom is a link to advance technique of how to stitch murals from photos at different angles which is what id really like to do. Unfortunately they messed up the html and the link is to Terry's home dir on his local machine so no dice ! Gonna grab a copy and see if it has a help file.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    Looks like I need to have a play with this one too. I have seen great panoramas done in Hugin but didnt realize it did flat pictures too. On that doc you linked at the bottom is a link to advance technique of how to stitch murals from photos at different angles which is what id really like to do. Unfortunately they messed up the html and the link is to Terry's home dir on his local machine so no dice ! Gonna grab a copy and see if it has a help file.
    http://hugin.sourceforge.net/tutoria...-mode/en.shtml

Blog Entries

I found a video of someone going through it all and I duplicated it and got the hang of it. Its not very well documented in the official help files tho. But I can say that it works really well and takes many many tie points in for the multiple images and it also warps the images to make them fit. But, its quite an involved process and the UI is not really set up for this method. The UI to do a normal panorama is great tho.

I think if I had a bunch of photos of a flat mural / painting then Hugin is the way to go but if you have multiple scans from a scanner that is reasonably well calibrated then the nip2 is the easier option. If the image is really really huge the nip2 is also likely to win. Panotools has always been a really fabulous bit of software but when I first heard about it waaay back it was only available as a photoshop plugin or by command line args. I expect Hugin as an interface has been around for a long time but I have not bothered with it much as I can do normal panoramas quite well without it. But now that I know it can do flat objects too thats a big bonus.