Thread: Oct / Nov '18 Lite Challenge: Ruins of Marinot

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Arimel's Avatar

Default Oct / Nov '18 Lite Challenge: Ruins of Marinot

Despite the late date for this entry, this challenge map has me intrigued. I am not sure I will be able to finish in the allotted time but if I dont start a post I wont have a chance!

My idea is that this island was once inhabited by the great Marinot Nation, who, as the island became unstable, were destroyed in the natural disasters that are wreaking havoc on the island.

My first work in progress includes a small part of my starting drawing as well as a tracing over (sort of) in gimp of my pencil planning lines that did not show up very well in the scan (which is why the island looks really distorted here. My actual pencil lines are much closer to the original).

### Latest WIP ###
    Ruins of Marinot first draft.jpg

I might have, time dependent, a small scrap of paper helping to explain the situation on the right hand side of the page where all of the blank space is.

Welcome to the Challenge Arimel, I wish I had thought of that Idea,,, Map an Island that is self destructing! Can't wait to see what you do with that!

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Neat concept, looking forward to seeing more.

Here is the second WIP image of the Marinot continent. I think I am now more than half way done (at least on the mapping portion) so I think I will finish on time!

### Latest WIP ###
    Ruins of Marinot WIP2.jpg

Edit: I was not planning as mentioning this here, as I should have been posting another map at the same time where I would mention this (I scanned it in grayscale instead of color...), but the mountain style is heavily inspired by Caenwyr's "Heimfold-Krekyo Dominion" mountains. Caenwyr's mountains are still light-years better than mine but I am currently enjoying drawing in this sort of style.
    Last edited by Arimel; 11-06-2018 at 01:23 PM. Reason: Sourcing-ish

And here is the final draft of the Ruins of Marinor (as it became on the map because I forgot the very name of what I was drawing... oops).
    The note on the page was inspired by ThomasRs (mainly) tattered map borders, which I thought would look good in this instance here. I did end up putting more text than intended in the note, which can probably be seen in how much it rambled on, as I am doing here. So here it is:

### Latest WIP ###
    Ruins of Marinor.jpg

Very cool Arimel, glad to see you got it done! I like the volcano!

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    Very cool Arimel, glad to see you got it done! I like the volcano!

Thanks Bogie! I was not sure how it would look before I started in pen and am glad that it is easily recognizable.