Thread: The Margravate of Greifshold - Location maps with coffee and tea

Default The Margravate of Greifshold - Location maps with coffee and tea

The past days I had a blast spending between 30min to 1.30h on hobby stuff each day. This was inspired by a 30min hobbying per day challenge on Facebook. I often think that in such a small time frame nothing can be achieved, but I stand corrected and will try to continue this habit and to improve my work flow.

So what did I do? I conducted some map making experiments using coffee, Rooibos tea, tumeric and a hibiscus blend to create autumnal landscapes as well as sepia tone scenes. Both will be useful to colorise my latest line-art map.

I really wanted to get into traditional water colour painting instead of doing everything in Photoshop. So far I am pleased with the outcomes. They have a dreamy quality to them and would be well placed in a children's book, to illustrate a fairy tale or - as intended - as a location map for my campaign setting.

I am tempted to add more detail using pen or acrylic paint, but I also like the art as it is, leaving the details to the imagination. Opinions on this?

C&C as always welcome.

Cheers

Chris

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

I really like that work, DaggerAndBrush! The use of coffee, tea, and other materials was an interesting and creative choice which, in my opinion, gives a very nice autumnal, cozy feeling to the maps. I also like how you kept adequate spaces between the elements of the maps, since the medium isn't very contrasting. In the first map of the forest and trail, incorporating some of the other colors you used sparingly, like the yellow and blue, more into the map might make it a bit more cohesive; however, it looks good how you did it as well. Personally, I like how the maps turned out, without acrylics or pens, but that's just my take on it. They're cool maps!

Thank you Clemens for your reply. I was surprised to see that Hibiscus tea, red to start with, turned blue when dry. So I will experiment a bit to achieve other colours and a more cohesive look.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk