Thread: Pressure Systems and Climates

Guild Applicant

Question Pressure Systems and Climates

Hello, long time listener and first time caller!

I've been working on a world for a couple of weeks now, and I've been going through the process of trying to create realistic climates/biomes for this world (huge props to Azelor and Charerg and Pixie, your tutorials are amazing!)

Anyways, here's the world I'm working on:

Earth10_climatev2.png

It's intended to be as earth-like as possible. I'm probably going to redraw the continents themselves but it's mostly going to be the same sort of thing where I have one large continent and a bunch of small continents that used to be part of a larger continent that broke apart.

Anyways, my question is this - due to the fact that most of the western part of this world is made up of small to medium size continents, would oceanic/land based pressure systems even form during the year due to the influence of nearby land/water? If not, would the basic prevailing winds essentially drive all of the weather patterns in that part of the world? Or would bands of high/low pressure form and essentially render everything around 30 degrees to be dry and equator/60 degrees wet most of the year? Or both? I've seen a lot of examples of worlds with a couple large continents but not many with groups of smaller ones, so I'm also what other differences there might be.

Thanks!

Hmmm, that's a good question, but I think their still will be ocean/land based system, look at Australia (well, Australia is a bit extreme because it's mostly a desert but I still think it will apply, to a lesser extent). However, something I'm sure is that prevailing winds won't be very important because land tends to stop them. I would like to see your tectonic map if there's one because the shapes of your landmasses are weird.

Guild Applicant

Quote Originally Posted by Jean-Abdel View Post
    Hmmm, that's a good question, but I think their still will be ocean/land based system, look at Australia (well, Australia is a bit extreme because it's mostly a desert but I still think it will apply, to a lesser extent). However, something I'm sure is that prevailing winds won't be very important because land tends to stop them. I would like to see your tectonic map if there's one because the shapes of your landmasses are weird.
    Yeah, I know the continents look weird - I started with some continents based on plates I'd put together that I ended up editing over and over thinking I could go back and justify it with different plates later on but it eventually ended up like this. I had a concept of one large continent on one side of a big ocean and a few mega-Australia sized continents on the other side, which I'm still planning on sticking with right now. Either way I was going to have the same situation with the formation of pressure systems over areas with roughly equal amounts of water and land, and was curious to know what it would look like in the world that I drew up here.

Why is it that land stops prevailing winds? Is it due to topography or differences in pressure over land vs water? I tried googling it real quick and couldn't find anything