Thread: November 2018 Challenge: Descent

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Default November 2018 Challenge: Descent

Woot, turns out I can enter after all

Posting up my progress so I'm committed to finishing by the end of the month; I've already failed at nanowrimo, but if I can get the darn map down I have a chance at someday finishing this book.

The story I'm telling is of a world where the gods, after leaving the world in ruins, left humans the ability to use magic in order to clean up their mess.

The human empire that grew out of this chaos is now in a golden age of magical technology which is on the brink of collapse.

What I have here is (I think) the entire "world" -- the idea is that it is a Rodinia-like supercontinent (the smaller one before pangaea) that is in process of breaking apart. I reserve the right to add another hemisphere later though.

I'm not sure if the challenge map will be this whole thing or a piece of it blown up ... and whether I stay digital or stick it onto some paper. We'll see where it takes me!

//EDIT: Looking at it here wow it looks kinda like the doodle I posted when I first came back. Apparently this shape is stuck in my head. This is brand new from random clouds today.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Gidde; 11-20-2018 at 05:23 PM.

Maybe it's like the movie Close Encounters and you will be making it in your mashed potatoes next?
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Mashed potatoes on the menu in two days --- if I do I will post a pic!

Ugh, not much progress today; lots of false starts.

I still haven't decided whether I'll do this whole hemisphere for the final challenge map or zoom in on a section; while I figure it out I at least added ice caps and reprojected everything so that I can use gimp's pixel count to estimate areas. Plus I really like the circle-hemisphere type maps.

The book(s) I'm writing center on a huge city near the middle of the map (not remotely enough time to do *that* for the challenge), and secondarily around a smallish town on the outskirts of the empire, and there will be much travel around the whole thing. So I may zoom in on that large island to the northeast if I don't do the whole hemisphere.

These coastlines are temporary until I draw the real ones later (to get rid of the pixelation from generating/scaling/projecting).
    ### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jaxilon; 11-22-2018 at 02:09 AM. Reason: added latest wip for challenge thumbnails

Hey Giddie, don't forget to use the latest wip tag as your entry is not showing up in the thumbnails.

Every time I look at this I want to make something out of it....like it looks like a bat or an upside-down presidential head or whatever, LOL.

edit: insomnia and so I went ahead and added it for you. Don't be mad please.
    Last edited by Jaxilon; 11-22-2018 at 02:09 AM.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

I'm not mad, I totally forgot since I wasn't really focused yet. Thanks Jax

I do too. It's like a Rorschach test at the moment. I'm hoping that as I add detail that will fade lol.