Thanks for the reply!
Yeah I've already noticed that bit of disconnect, but I'm sure that I can overcome that. One of the things I keep running into with tutorials though is that a unexpectedly large number of times I watch the bit of tutorial and attempt to follow along and get a result that is absolutely nothing like what happened in the tutorial, and I don't know if it'll be because they are using a different version, or a custom script, or if I just did something WRONG (probably this one). Honestly, I had literally downloaded and installed the most recent versions of both programs the same day I posted the original, and looking at several tutorials on youtube that had been posted as recently as 1 and 2 months ago, there were significant differences in the layout and where certain commands were found.

An example being following the instructions for how to select and cut out a selection to move to a new document and enlarge the selection (actually enlarge, aka increasing the number of pixils in it, not just zooming in) and after 3 different tutorials, following step-by-step, every single time when I got to the part of enlarging the image; instead of enlarging the image itself I got what looked like, I guess, a water mark of the original image in a size larger than the original but not as large as the settings I had attempted to enter. Three different tutorials and the same result, and I've no idea what is going wrong.