Thread: How to choose a tool for mapping?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'll personally always recommend Photoshop as a mapping software. It takes a little time to get really comfortable with it, but once you do and combine it with a graphics tablet, there is no limits to what it can do for you. This is also a fantastical place for learning this stuff; I can honestly say that everything I know about using Photoshop today, and I dare say I'm getting pretty handy with it these days, I have learned from the tutorials on this Guild. I knew practically nothing about it going in.

As far as vector software goes, I for one can give a warm recommendation for Affinity Designer. I use AfDe for pretty much all my vector needs and I really like it. I kinda prefer it to Illustrator, it just is less troublesome with some essential little things.

I know a lot of people use the ProFantasy software for mapping, but I've never really used any of those, with the exception for Fractal Terrains which I own for the occasional inspiration boost. So I'm not the best person to say yay or nay on them. Many people do like them though, so I doubt they are too terrible.

My very biased personal view on this, feel free to ignore this PS nut
    Last edited by Kellerica; 01-23-2019 at 04:17 AM.
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

I found a mapmaking website called inkarnate a few days ago, but it seems pretty limited. Does anyone else have an opinion on it?

Quote Originally Posted by Bombastus View Post
    I found a mapmaking website called inkarnate a few days ago, but it seems pretty limited. Does anyone else have an opinion on it?
    Describing Inkarnate as "pretty limited" sums up my experience with it quite nicely.