Thread: How to choose a tool for mapping?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Oliva View Post
    One issue goes across all three of these programs in their current versions: They are 32-bit applications, making them quite dated technologically – late 20th century. They can address the resources of a modern PC only to a limited extent. Most frustrating is their ability to use only 4 GB RAM when your computer many have 16, 32 or 64 GB RAM.
    Late 20th century?! Wide support of 64-bit Windows didn't really happen until Windows 7 in 2009, and it probably took several more years before the majority of Windows systems were 64-bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Oliva View Post
    Disadvantages: 32-Bit Java application, no announced 64-bit plans.
    Correction: MapForge is not a Java application. It's created with Adobe Director, and the programming language is called Lingo. The app doesn't require any additional frameworks be installed, as it's completely self-contained.
    Looking for battlemap creation software that can be used to create gorgeous print-resolution output on Windows or Mac OS?
    Give MapForge a try.

Greetings again!

Quote Originally Posted by heruca View Post
    Late 20th century?! Wide support of 64-bit Windows didn't really happen until Windows 7 in 2009, and it probably took several more years before the majority of Windows systems were 64-bit.
    A matter of viewpoint and opinion, I suppose. I use a wide variety of programs on my PCs. The only applications that I use with any frequency that still are 32-bit programs are MapForge, CC3+, Fractal Mapper 8 and some Nero applications. All of my other frequently used applications are 64-bit programs and have been 64-bit programs for quite some time. Now that we're 19 years into the 21st Century, I think it's more than time for cartographic programs to go there too. But the coming Fractal Mapper 9 is the only one of the programs ready to make the jump. Still ... it is a matter of opinion, of course. My opinion is that 32-bit Windows software is antiquated, still lost in the 20th century. We have to agree to disagree there. But I still like you and your software, Hernan!

Correction: MapForge is not a Java application. It's created with Adobe Director, and the programming language is called Lingo. The app doesn't require any additional frameworks be installed, as it's completely self-contained.
    Thanks for the correction and apologies for the error. Obviously one of the databases in my brain was polluted with garbage. I'll edit and correct my original posting.
    Mark Oliva
    The Vintyri (TM) Project