Thread: March / April '19 Lite Challenge: Ascent to the Moon

Default March / April '19 Lite Challenge: Ascent to the Moon

This is going to be an illustration for the conclusion to a Mazes & Minotaurs* adventure. The M&M setting, Mythika, includes a wide variety of near-human folk. One of these are the Selenites, exiles from the Moon. This would be the moment of their homecoming. After the heroic adventurers recover the pieces of a magical ladder, it is assembled and, when placed at the appropriate site at the appropriate time, the ladder extends into the sky all the way to the Selenite homeworld, and the Selenite climb back to the Moon. The game's known world is roughly analogous to the ancient Mediterranean, so its moon will likewise be roughly analogous to our own. That is, I will be simplifying and distorting actual lunar geography to create the terrain of the Mythikan Moon. This will be done in grayscale, as it is intended as an interior illustration that would have appeared in an old adventure module, and that would not have had budget for color. Actual progress so far has been to download a lunar photograph and a lunar map for reference and creation of a Krita file. Actual WIP coming soon.

* Mazes & Minotaurs is an "old-school style" role-playing game drawing from classical mythology rather than medieval fantasy. I am currently running an M&M on Roll20. (And I am looking for more players if anyone is looking to get on the virtual tabletop.)

Very novel idea. Should be cool!
    Welcome to the Challenge rdanhenry!

I've never played Mazes before and always been a bit curious about it. It's a tempting offer. Were I not as busy as I currently am I'd happily join your campaign. As it stands I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with this piece.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Wip

It has been hard to find time to work on this (well, mainly, time to work at my computer without a cat getting in the way), and tonight was not the night, but I figure I'd better put up what little I have done so I don't have nothing.

### Latest WIP ###
    ladder to the moon.png

Wip

Forty-five minutes to make the ladder.

### Latest WIP ###
    ladder to the moon.png

Wip

And now we have a little labeling and the addition of the significant non-ladder ground site to start turning this into a map.

Addition of labels and some details to the moon yet to go. Anyone have a font suggestion for a fantasy lunar look? I'm definitely going to label the moon with a different font than the Mythikan locations below, but I don't have anything that particularly fits (I want to go away from the faux-ancient look of most of the fonts I've grabbed for Mazes & Minotaurs use), so unless someone suggests something I like, I think I'm just going to go simple.

Also, I am thinking of adding some stars to the upper section (above clouds and fliers), but they would have to be dark, since I'm not going to go to a black background, so would that look okay, do you think?

### Latest WIP ###
    ladder to the moon.png

Wip

I added the stars I was considering, as well as lunar details. I think it's probably just labeling now, unless I get some feedback that suggests some other changes.

### Latest WIP ###
    ladder to the moon.png

Wip

This is probably the final version, barring some timely suggestion for improvement.

### Latest WIP ###
    ladder to the moon.png