Thread: The Pestilent Parish - Innsmouth-inspired WIP

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

i like how it reminds me of an overworld roguelike. looking forward to seeing more of your lovecraftian maps!

Hey there, guys! I've been away for a few days, but wow, these suggestions are so helpful!

The shaped shadows and core shadows would definitely improve things a whole lot. I've mainly relied on the drop shadow layer style so far, but it seems pretty limited in terms of replicating shadows cast by 3D structures. Time to break out the ol' brush. And the roof gradients would be a big improvement too - adds some much-needed depth.

I really appreciate everyone's comments. Thanks heaps!

Map The Pestilent Parish - UPDATE!

Hello hello!

I've applied some of the advice given in this thread, and now have an updated version of the map to show. This one also has the roof of the drinking hall restored.

I feel like that blue-green on the roofs is a bit sickly, but maybe that's OK since it's a freaky cult town.

I decided not to change the slightly repetitive brickwork texture of the ground - for one thing, I'm too far in by now and don't want to face blending all that rubble back in. But also, someone mentioned the map reminded them of a roguelike video game and I tend to agree - repetitive tiles and all. When I was making it, I was actually thinking of a particular ninja arcade game that I don't recall the name of now.

Anyway, let me know what you think! All comments welcome and appreciated

Innsmouth-Ruined-Church-v8.jpg

Cheers,
    Dysnomia / A Moon of Eris