Thread: Another thread about tablets

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

For my money, I think the screen is worth it. It just makes your workflow so much more natural. But then again, if you've been using your old one for that many years, I imagine you're used to using a screenless tablet - I can honestly say I never got the hang of using one. I always felt like I needed to completely re-learn how to draw, and I had a couple of weird "dead angles" that my hand never got used to (like, I'd try to draw a line at a certain -20-ish degree angle and for some reason I'd just always land a good 10-15 degrees off, and I had to re-do it several times before I got it right) which were 100% my own problem and not issue with the actual tablet. Drawing lineart for mountains and the like for a map took literally two or three days as I'd have to do every single one twice or thrice before they looked even somewhat finished. With the Cintiq, all of these problems went away and my workflow got about three times faster. I finally started getting some maps finished, and actually improving at freehand drawing stuff.

So yeah, for me the Cintiq has been a life saver. I invested in the 22HD model, which is not the cheapest one out there, and I've never regretted it. But like I said, I always had a lot of trouble with the regular tablet, and I know a lot of people can use those very effectively. I guess it boils down to, how much of a headache is that old Bamboo giving you now?
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Kellerica View Post
    For my money, I think the screen is worth it. It just makes your workflow so much more natural. But then again, if you've been using your old one for that many years, I imagine you're used to using a screenless tablet - I can honestly say I never got the hang of using one. I always felt like I needed to completely re-learn how to draw, and I had a couple of weird "dead angles" that my hand never got used to (like, I'd try to draw a line at a certain -20-ish degree angle and for some reason I'd just always land a good 10-15 degrees off, and I had to re-do it several times before I got it right) which were 100% my own problem and not issue with the actual tablet. Drawing lineart for mountains and the like for a map took literally two or three days as I'd have to do every single one twice or thrice before they looked even somewhat finished. With the Cintiq, all of these problems went away and my workflow got about three times faster. I finally started getting some maps finished, and actually improving at freehand drawing stuff.

So yeah, for me the Cintiq has been a life saver. I invested in the 22HD model, which is not the cheapest one out there, and I've never regretted it. But like I said, I always had a lot of trouble with the regular tablet, and I know a lot of people can use those very effectively. I guess it boils down to, how much of a headache is that old Bamboo giving you now?
    Accuracy is an issue for me with my actual tablet. It is extremely difficult to draw accurately object/line unless it is not too big.
    I can't draw straight lines with the tablet unless I use guides, yet it's pretty easy on paper.

Quote Originally Posted by Azélor View Post
    Accuracy is an issue for me with my actual tablet. It is extremely difficult to draw accurately object/line unless it is not too big.
    I can't draw straight lines with the tablet unless I use guides, yet it's pretty easy on paper.
    In that case, I'd definitely urge you to look into the display tablet department. I doubt you'll regret is. As J. pointed out, Wacom is by no means the only one who has these available and I'm sure you'll find something that works for you.
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.