Thread: Hi everyone! Any tips for searching maps?

Default Hi everyone! Any tips for searching maps?

Hi, Davetronred here. I'm looking forward to scouring this forum for tips, but before I do would anyone here be nice enough to explain the search system? I'm looking for some partially submerged underwater caverns. If there's an easy way to sort searches by terrain type, that would be a solid start.

Thanks!

Welcome to the Guild! I'm afraid the search functions on this forum are pretty limited, and sadly the maps aren't really broken down into specific categories. Mostly we are a community of artists who enjoy sharing and talking about cartography, not so much a well-kept archieve of gaming maps. As for the submerged caverns... It's very possible there are some buried around somewhere, but on the top of my head I can't remember seeing many in the recent years.

I think I've seen some people say they just employ Google even when they want to search for maps on this forum. I very rarely need to find anything in particular here, so I can't really say.
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Blog Entries

yes, use google with "site:cartographersguild.com submerged" and then it will find more threads than the vBulletin built in one. I would urge people to tag their maps with a useful set of tags and then you can use the internal search by tag to pull up better selections.

And if that doesn't help try searching using single keywords that might get you somewhere in the ball park.

Obviously, it would make sense to check the Dungeon/Subterranean Mapping thread.

I have one I did that has a lake and partially flooded underground city, it is originally designed for my own campaign but you could use it another way if you needed to: Under the Mountain

The other thing I've done is if you find someone who does something similar check their other works. Sometimes we get on a kick and run with a theme for a while.
    Last edited by Jaxilon; 03-01-2020 at 08:43 PM.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt