Thread: Qwoldestef—A new world

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Fascinating concept. What do you think how long it takes to travel from pole to pole? (easiest answer might be "a life", I guess)
    And by what means do people travel? Do they have vehicles or mounts, do they travel by feet? Are there ships?

Quote Originally Posted by Yrda View Post
    Fascinating concept. What do you think how long it takes to travel from pole to pole? (easiest answer might be "a life", I guess)
    And by what means do people travel? Do they have vehicles or mounts, do they travel by feet? Are there ships?
    It would be 50,358.74 miles from pole to pole if the spiral were a perfectly smooth curve and flat terrain. I haven’t figure out the distance by land given the rough continent shape and intense elevation shifts.

Only the Nomest people consider traveling pole-to-pole by land a pilgrimage that they should do once in a lifetime. By foot and/or mount is allowable. (Nomest just means nomad in the proto-indo-european-based language I made.) Out of respect for their culture and history, the bordered nations allow the Nomest freely through their lands. The Nomest consider their culture to be handed down from the very first humanoids from which all other humanoids are descended, so they would be made up of all races. (Not sure how I’d deal with avian races on a world with this cultural base.)

Other cultures would be based on medieval fantasy worlds with borders and wars, merchants and monarchs, landowners and serfs or farm hands, craftsmen and clergy, etc. Those cultures would use any animals, wagons, boats, ships, and whatever else a GM or author wanted to include. I’ll probably build this out for 5E, though honestly I was just having fun with the concept.

It doesn’t look or sound strictly medieval fantasy, but I was experimenting with the map style and the National Geographic tone fit the aesthetic. Plus it was fun to write.