Thread: The Duchies, Principalities, Counties, Dioceses and Baronies of Nebrinn

Map The Duchies, Principalities, Counties, Dioceses and Baronies of Nebrinn

This is the country of Nebrinn on the east coast of Esper. It is a patchwork of duchies, counties, baronies etc. who are all more or less vassals of one of the great noble houses - Aradas (yellow), Barnav (green), Tamar (blue) and Lykin (red) or they are dioceses of the Mabedian Church (orange). The grey areas are either smaller noble houses who managed to remain independent or they are free cities or - in case of Kam and Karan - are territories directly administered by the state. It's just wilderness, mountains and swamps waiting to be colonized and "civilized". By now those territories are just being claimed by the state of Nebrinn and nobody else bothered to disagree.

I tried to give the map a somehow "authentic" 17th century look. There was alsop a phase in the progress of mapmaking where I added some mountains and forrests, but I decided that all this would be too much so I left them out again.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice style, I like it! The grainy texture in particular gives a lovely touch to the map. Overall, I find the 17th century look well rendered, and your world seems rich and promising. I think you made the right choice not adding environmental elements, the map is complex enough as it is.
    Two suggestions (but they are very personnal and not to be taken too seriously!): I would maybe tone down the black of your labels a little bit, and reach toward the deep grey we often find on the 17th century map. The cartouche is gorgeous, but I would scale it down just a tad, or tone the black down so that it doesn't steal the show from the map itself.

Beautiful map all the same, bravo

For this sort of approach, I think foregoing the mountains and forests was a wise decision. You could add them in for noise in some of the more open spaces, but I don't think it's necessary. Would probably take away from its legibility.

Looking good!

Thank you, KMAlexander. I was actually fiddling around with some of your brush sets because I love them and I desparately wanted to do a map in that style, but I realized that this is not the right map for that purpose. At least I used your brushes to do the coastal outlines.

I always like to know how terrain looks like in the places we see on a map. So I would have liked some mountains and forests. Now that being said, I can see how that would have been detrimental to the actual purpose of this map...this is a political map and is meant to show were the different realms are situated etc. .

So yeah, I guess it was the right decision even if the map now omits information that I, personally, would have liked to have
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

If anybody is interested in the actual topography of Nebrinn this is the right map for that.
    nebrinn.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Jerron View Post
    If anybody is interested in the actual topography of Nebrinn this is the right map for that.
    Perfect!
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Looks great! My only feedback is that the shields look a little too clean and finely-detailed, so they seem to float off the map rather than blending into the style of the rest of it.