Thread: Düsterbruch – Regional psuedo-realistic Map.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

That's a great visual result! If you ever think of making a tutorial of your technique, I'd be very interested in following it.
    I'd also like to know a lot more about the purpose of the map. Could you tell us?

Quote Originally Posted by Bretton View Post
    That's a great visual result! If you ever think of making a tutorial of your technique, I'd be very interested in following it.
    I'd also like to know a lot more about the purpose of the map. Could you tell us?
    Sure.

So I created this map for a pretty singular reason: I wanted to see if I can.
    And I had the chance to create my very own home-brew setting for D&D in the process as well.

My technique is a mix of photo bashing (real life satellite imagery) and concept art brushes and textures, combined with a lot of layer editing, color corrections and tweaking and of cause, blending everything together. I started out by laying down a topographic map within illustrator (just by adding layer after layer of different colored shapes) until I was happy with the overall form and feeling of the landmasses itself. I had a vision of what my world should look and feel like (northern european feel, around the medieval age - more modern fantasy game map than traditional fantasy RPG. A kinda combination of Skyrim and The Witcher as a kinda google.earthly map.
    And then it is just a lot like a huge jigsaw puzzle, with the difference that you actually don't exactly know what the end result will look like, and you have to cut and tweak the pieces together yourself. Many parts of the map created themselves by just adding another piece or layer onto of another.

I do have a sneak peak into my process on my personal portfolio (with a lot more explanation behind the reason and my personal approach, but it is in German) and I am not sure if I am allowed to post links in this sort of matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Legrandblond View Post
    Sure.

So I created this map for a pretty singular reason: I wanted to see if I can.
    And I had the chance to create my very own home-brew setting for D&D in the process as well.

My technique is a mix of photo bashing (real life satellite imagery) and concept art brushes and textures, combined with a lot of layer editing, color corrections and tweaking and of cause, blending everything together. I started out by laying down a topographic map within illustrator (just by adding layer after layer of different colored shapes) until I was happy with the overall form and feeling of the landmasses itself. I had a vision of what my world should look and feel like (northern european feel, around the medieval age - more modern fantasy game map than traditional fantasy RPG. A kinda combination of Skyrim and The Witcher as a kinda google.earthly map.
    And then it is just a lot like a huge jigsaw puzzle, with the difference that you actually don't exactly know what the end result will look like, and you have to cut and tweak the pieces together yourself. Many parts of the map created themselves by just adding another piece or layer onto of another.

I do have a sneak peak into my process on my personal portfolio (with a lot more explanation behind the reason and my personal approach, but it is in German) and I am not sure if I am allowed to post links in this sort of matter.
    Thanks for sharing. I did a photo-bashing map once of Dune, but never came to the idea of mixing it later with brush strokes. It's a great result! I may try it some day. I guess there's nothing wrong with that link, but I'm new around here. End German is no a problem to me. Again, thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bretton View Post
    Thanks for sharing. I did a photo-bashing map once of Dune, but never came to the idea of mixing it later with brush strokes. It's a great result! I may try it some day. I guess there's nothing wrong with that link, but I'm new around here. End German is no a problem to me. Again, thanks for sharing.
    Let's find out what the MODs think.
    This would be the link to the project: https://www.legrandblond.de/nerdcore