Thread: ***September 2020 Challenge - Perspective Map***

Default ***September 2020 Challenge - Perspective Map***

If you've not yet tried your hand at working on drawing in perspective, or have but are looking to brush up on your skills, I've got good news for you. This month's challenge is to create a map (or one some element which is incorporated into a map) in one or more points of perspective, and/or which uses a wide-angle (fish eye) lens. If you are unfamiliar with the concept of perspective there are countless explanations and tutorials freely available online (moderndayjames's youtube series on the topic is an excellent place to start). The type, genre and theme of the map is entirely up to you, just so long as it's done in some sort of perspective. Ready, set go!

The challenge ends sometime at or around midnight of the 30th of this month. And as always:

1) Title your thread: September 2020 Challenge: <<your title would go here>>
    2) Use the ### Latest WIP ### tag before EVERY work-in-progress image you post so that the image will show up in the thumbnails;
    3) Only submit maps begun on or after today (September 6th), maps started earlier than this are ineligible for the contest.

What do you mean by fisheye?

This article has some examples of fisheye photos. http://paulbourke.net/dome/dualfish2sphere/

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.
    No obligation, free quotes. I also make custom PC / NPC / monster tokens.
    Contact me: calthyechild@gmail.com or _ti_ (Discord) to discuss a map!

Dang! I had an idea for a personal project involving perspective views, but I unfortunately laid down the first pencil lines last week.

This will be a really fun challenge to follow, though!

Quote Originally Posted by Tiana View Post
    This article has some examples of fisheye photos. http://paulbourke.net/dome/dualfish2sphere/
    Looks very complicate to make a msp with such distortion.

Quote Originally Posted by Naima View Post
    Looks very complicate to make a msp with such distortion.
    Yes but remember the wide angle lens distortion is optional, the challenge is just to use some type of perspective (1 point, 2 point, 3 point or 5 point) to create the map (or map element).

I might finally take part in a challenge again, since this to me seems to be one of those topics that are especially suitable for town maps. Also i just got a little bit of time for it.

I might be interested in trying a perspective map... thinking of a city, but not sure if I get enough time...

Just a reminder to everyone that the challenge will be ending sometime within the next few hours. If you have any last minute updates, now is the time to get them in.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh