Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
Your maps are so much fun John, Thanks!
Thanks Bogie
I wander a lot in maps, possibly because I don't get out enough. ;P
Quote Originally Posted by - JO - View Post
Striking! Magnificent! Breathtaking! It's really incredible, this talent!

We totally feel the fact that the island floats in the air, and the line is, as usual, incredible precision and efficiency in the rendering of the effects (texture, level, object definition, etc.)
And the variations are also hallucinating in their originality and in their realizations. It is simply splendid... I wonder how long it takes you to realize all these different atmospheres? With the layers on Photoshop, it should still make the work easier ?

I would only have a tiny remark of nothing at all: maybe the flying boat would have gained in legibility if the air containers were above the boat rather than below it? Anyway, the drawing remains clear to read: it's an island floating in the sky, but maybe for the boat, another look would have completed the atmosphere?
Thanks Joel
Yes, photoshop definitely makes the variation process easier... or well, somewhat faster.
It takes a good while getting all of the variation layers set up. The doing the bulk of the variations can go a bit faster.
I've improved on some efficiency, but still have a lot to learn and improve on.

As to the boat... good critique. nods.
If I had drawn a top balloon style, you really wouldn't have seen the boat deck. So there's that.
I also like to try for variety in design. I feel like the standard is a boat hanging from a balloon.
I just thought a boat riding ON balloons might prove an interesting, or at least novel, choice.
Plus, there are versions where the boat is in water, and thus has no balloons.
That said, it's still good critique.