Thread: Your favourite fantasy world?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Member

Favorite fantasy world...that's a tough one! If I had to choose just one it would; of course, be Middle-Earth ( bet no one saw that coming! lol). Like many others I'm sure, reading Tolkien as a child; 40 years ago or so, drew me into my life long love of fantasy...& fantasy maps! To visit The Shire, walk ancient forests with Ents & Elves, tread the deep halls of Moria...who wouldn't jump at the chance?

If allowed more picks...next on the list would be Mystara from the earlier worlds of D&D. Spent many years running adventures there & it's another world I'd love to visit! Many others are very cool, but my main criteria for a favorite is would I want to visit or live there. So while I may love reading about some of the "darker" worlds, wanting to visit is a hard NO! Warhammer, Warhammer 40K...awesome to read about, visit...HELL NO!!!! lol Most video game worlds also tend to be too gank heavy or over populated with nasty wandering monsters. For them, I'll restrict my visits to my gaming. So Tamriel, the world of The Witcher & Azeroth are also out, though I love playing games there!

After, Middle Earth & Mystara I would probably have to choose Faerun. D&D has had many compelling worlds but Mystara & Faerun would feel the most like "home" to me from all the years playing there & reading about the worlds. Experiencing the magic, all the creatures & races...would be awesome as long as I could manage to do it without getting killed! Greyhawk, Golarion & Glorantha would definitely get honorable mentions. The last 2 would be higher on the list probably but I'm just not as familiar with them as the others. Sure something else will occur to me later but thats good for now.

My favorite fantasy worlds are:

-Alagaesia: The first fantasy map I saw was in the one on the first page of the book. It was what made me start to draw ideas, and then came Minecraft and I saw that those ideas seemed huge on paper but in reality they weren't as much.

-Animorphs: I began reading the series on 2015 and ended it on 2017 (just a year before the web EspaPDF was closed) Now it's difficult to find the extra series: Megamorphs, Andalite chronicles, etc. Although Vegemorphs had something that left me like kinda depressed.

-Asimov's Foundation saga: from that series I've read The Caves of Steel, The Naked Sun, The Foundation trilogy, Foundation's Edge and Foundation and Earth. Although I still have doubts about how the Hyperspace works.

-Temerant: If you don't recognise the name of the continent, you may at least know the name of the main character, Kvothe. Temerant is the continent where Patrick Rothfuss has located the saga The Kingkiller Chronicle. A world where, while there is magic of "real nouns" like in the Inheritance Saga, there is also something akin to a science around it (simpathetic magic) and engineering also (artificery).

-Kyralia: The world where telecommunications don't make much sense. In this world, there are mages as usual, but these mages can talk with their minds over hundreds of kilometers! Instantly! Without latency! Also, great world-building effort.

These are 5 of the best fantasy worlds about which I've ever read. LOTR doesn't appeal much to me. Begun reading but I don't like the style very much. Same for GoT, although those I read the whole series. Still waiting for book 6 to come up.
    Last edited by 4maram; 11-11-2020 at 10:22 AM.