Thread: WIP-Renaissance forts-Awhayji Resources

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Tutorial

Now, this is the good one. I've found a site where they discuss about how those forts were designed, and that the final design ended having small variations that helped on the overall defense. They also include a guide to how to draw the silhouette/level/base of a 5 points fort of the 17th century so, following that guide I'm making a 5 points 17th century fort and posting it here, some steps at a time (it only consists of 12 steps). When I finish it, I'll just continue making the fort.

Steps to draw the silhouette of a 17th century pentagonal fort (every pentagon named I'm asuming that it's a regular pentagon (maybe I should try to make an irregular fort...)):
    1.- Draw a circle (no more than 500 meters in diameter to be able to support with muskets).

2.- Divide it in 5 angles of 72 degrees.

3.- Connect the points where the lines cross the circle to form a pentagon (draw the pentagon inscribed in the circumference).

4.- Divide a side of the pentagon in 5 equal parts, named: a,b,c,d,e, between the corners A and B. The points that delimitate the equal parts are, from left to right: A, 1, 2, 3, 4, B

5.- Draw the pentagon circumscribed to the circumference and draw a line, from the point 1 on the inner pentagon to the outer pentagon, perpendicular to the side of the pentagon. We will name that line the flank of the bastion.

6.- Extend the radius of the inner pentagon on the corner (point A) we are working on, until after well passed the outer pentagon. Draw another line going from the point 3, passing through the end of the flank and reaching the radius that goes through the point A and the corner of the pentagons. we will name the point of the end of the bastion point C

7.- Repeat on the opposite side of the corner/radius steps 5 and 6 to finish the bastion.

5P17thCentury oneBastion.PNG

8.- Draw a third pentagon with its corners coinciding with the point of the bastion (C), and draw bastions (steps 5, 6, and 7) for the rest of the corners.

Now we almost have the usual silhouette of the poligonal fort but we must mark the orillons. Around here would be the emplacements where would go the cannons that defend the curtains.

9.- Cut the flank of a bastion with a perpendicular line f, dividing the flank in two equal halves, parallel to the line we previously divided in 5 equal parts.

10.- To draw the location on the right side of the bastion, we divide the line a in half with a perpendicular line and we make a rectangle/square there, from that point, to the midle of the flank. And then we repeat for the rest of the bastions.

5P17 step 11.PNG

11.- We erase the half of the flank nearest to the main wall/innermost pentagon to show the orillon. And then we clean up to show the final result.

5P17 Clean1.PNG

5P17 Clean2.PNG
    Last edited by 4maram; 03-05-2022 at 05:16 AM. Reason: Changing the post icon from POST to TUTORIAL